XJS HE Battery dimensions

I’m curreently running a ACDELCO 22F520SMFDF and the manual tells me its 240 × 174 × 205 mm and you have to be ham fisted to get the cover on. The ACDELCO site recommends a number of alternative options - all of which seem to be bigger! How does that work??? The handbook recommends a LUCAS MF3 but doen’t mention dimensions and I can’t find a listing for such. Does anyone know the max dimensions to fit the box and allow the cover to go on? Tks

I think the correct battery is size 47 @ 9.7L x 6.9W x 7.5H in inches, or 24.64L x 17.53W x 19.05H in cm),
I’ve also used Optima 8003-151, which is a bit longer and taller at 10 x 6-7/8 x 7-13/16 inch

Tks I think its 250175190 mm Almost everything is either too big or too small. Im running an ACDELCO 22F520SMFDF which is 205mm tall and I cant get the battery cover on.
Looks like a Bosch DIN53LH MF S4 56219 at 241174189 might fit but all batteries seem to be bottom holddown and there’s no guarantee the top holddown frame will fit unless the battery is flat on top without all the superstructure. You cant tell until u c it.

Mark,
I have an Interstate MT-58R battery in our 1990 XJ-S convertible. It fits and works fine with the original top bracket. I installed a knife switch on the negative terminal and the plastic cover fits neatly over the top.

I recommend that you search the archives to see what others have posted before because batteries have been discussed many times before and there are other ones that fit in addition to what I have used. I specifically picked the MT-58R because I needed more clearance at the top for the knife switch.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul. Tried a new Bosch battery of correct dimensions but the superstructure means I cant attach the cables!

Mark,

I recommend that you not try to reinvent the wheel, but just try the batteries that I or others found that worked (check the archives for “battery”). I did a lot of research before deciding on the Interstate battery that I got. I also have a knife switch on my 1969 E-Type battery and during that search I discovered lots of variations in battery dimensions and that in some instances the battery that was recommended by the battery shop didn’t even fit the original battery hold downs. Who know where the battery guys got their car battery dimensions and compatibility from but it wasn’t from actually measuring the dimensions like I did in my cars.

Paul

2 Likes

Hi Mark. It looks as though you have dispensed with the original Surge Tank underneath your battery. I have just taken out my Surge Tank which has rusted through underneath and am contemplating whether I should even replace it or not. Is your XJ-S running OK without it? Regards John.

Sorry Mark, I should have said Paul. I have a 1990 XJ-S V12 Convertable and have just bought a new Yuasa 12V Battery that fits the fittings perfectly and with a 4 year guarantee for £89. Regards . John.

Thanks John - do you know what kind of Yuasa battery it is? I still have the surge tank.

John,
No, I didn’t remove the fuel sump tank. Maybe it looked that way due to the angle at which I took that other picture.

Here is a picture that I just took of the sump tank in our 1990 XJ-S convertible.
I would never remove a sump tank from the XJ-S fuel system myself. It is my opinion that Jaguar knew what they were doing by having that sump tank and I certainly don’t have the expertise in fuel injection system design to question the Jaguar design engineers. So if mine failed I would install another without hesitation. I realize that others might do otherwise, but they can do whatever they want to with their car. Then we can look forward to the posts of some future owner asking “Why doesn’t my car have a fuel sump tank?”. :rofl:

Paul

2 Likes

Hi Paul. Thank you for prompt reply and for sending another photo showing the fuel tank. It looks as though I will have to get another tank as mine has completely rusted through and they appear very difficult to obtain. Perhaps someone else in the club has had the same problem and managed to fit another type of tank to achieve the same purpose like a plastic one for example that will not rust or a similar tank from another vehicle? Happy motoring. Regards John

John,
I have been on the Jag-Lovers XJ-S list for 19 years, since we purchased our 1990 XJ-S convertible in 2005. Pretty much everything about these cars has been discussed many times and is recorded in the archives. The sump tank is discussed regularly and there are likely many helpful posts in the archives from those that have dealt with sump tank problems similar yours. I recommend that you search the Jag-Lovers archives for “sump tank” to see what you can learn there. If you haven’t already done so I recommend that you download Kirby Palm’s “Experience in a Book” from Jag-Lovers and see what that excellent resource has to say about the sump tank. BTW, the Jaguar part number for the sump tank is C41794. I have found that having a Parts Catalogue for my Jaguars and the correct part number for what I need is very helpful in finding the correct part. The Jag-Lovers Classified Ads section is also a helpful tool. You can post a want ad for a sump tank there and see if someone has one to sell. Perhaps there is a new or used one available online. You could also try taking your sump tank to a radiator repair shop to see if they can repair yours. I just searched eBay for “Jaguar C41794” and there are two listed for sale there.
There are lots of options open to you.

Paul

If you buy the in line “KEY” style bat cut off switch, you do not have to downgrade to the smaller bat and can use the stock bat cover. May provide a small anti-theft benefit. Just add a short, stout piece of wire. Black= trendy, not reqd. Last of the xjs’s had no sump tank, and were rated to only about 149 mph, so keep yours if you need to wind her out regularly. Good luck + save the adverb!

Late XJS’ had no sump tank because they had internal tank fuel pump(s) and a pump housing that served the same purpose. The V12s had two pumps, and the 6s had one. The tank itself and the rest of the fuel system was very different from the early cars.

2 Likes

Jon,
I agree that the XJS face-lift cars (1992-1996) are completely different cars with very little in common with the earlier XJ-S cars like our 1990 XJ-S convertible. Since John has a 1990 XJ-S convertible it is probably most helpful to avoid solutions that only apply to very different face-lift cars with much different fuel systems.

Paul

I was responding to Jp2’s comment above mine that implied that late model cars with no separate tank were deficient. That’s an apples to oranges comparison.

Hi Eric. Thank you for your message. I have only recently bought my 1990 XJ-S 12L Convertable as a work in progress project which I am currently in the process of restoring, starting with the cosmetic things ie: carpets and leather trim etc. It did not come with a battery so I have recently bought a new Yuasa Battery which fits well. My sump tank has really rusted right through so I am sure it cannot be repaired as the amount of rusty metal chards that came out through the holes was remarkable hence my thoughts was it really necessary for me in my 85 year as I will not be going too fast when I eventually get it running. I did not realise that the later cars did not have a sump tank so thanks for that. I am hopefully getting the main fuel tank out now so

IMG_6530.JPG
that I can check the inside of it for rust so wish me luck. I am having a great time so far and am looking forward to the summer when I can do more to my car. I would be so interested to know whether I can just bypass the sump tank and would be interested to know if any other XJ-S owner has actually done that. Thank you for your interest Eric. Kind Regards. John. ps. The leather seats clean up well as you can seIMG_6536.webpIMG_6536.webp before and after

(Attachment IMG_6536.webp is missing)

I would be grateful if you could check please and agree to deliver to Eric. Thank you John.

John,

I am confused. Exactly what is it that you expect me to deliver to Eric?

Paul

Hi Paul. I am sorry for confusion, Eric sent me a message following my call to you mentioning the sump tank and I replied with a couple of photos but was told by the Jag-Lovers Team that they could not deliver my email because of one of the photos showing my XJ-S seats which was a JPG format and gave me their email address with a special number 24 which I sent. So I am now confused also as I did not wish to bother you again. Regards John.