XJS - window fell into the door

I am having trouble navigating the new site,however I need help.
The drivers window has fell into the door on my 1995 XJS. The switch and motor seem to be working, but the window is “off track”
Any suggestions?

I removed and replaced the door windows in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible for the repaint. The car is a bit different from your later facelift model, but I suspect that the door window mechanism is probably about the same. I recommend that you remove the inner door panel to take look inside to door to see what happened. If not obvious at first you might even remove the inner door panel of the functioning passenger side door window to see how it is supposed to look and operate. Perhaps one of the fasteners that hold the window track in place have fallen out of place. If you are fortunate maybe you will find a loose bolt on the inside bottom of the door. Some of the bolts holding the window track in place are located on the bottom of the door and are visible looking up at the bottom of the door with the door open. If one of those are missing that will make the take a lot easier to resolve. It’s a bit difficult getting hands inside the door to tighten the fasteners but it can be done. I also suggest that you disconnect the battery from the car before working inside the door where inadvertent actuation of a door switch could injure your hands, fingers, arms or pride. But of course I am a “belt and suspenders” kind of guy and try to avoid injuries when I can. :wink:

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Hi Paul: Thanks for your thoughts…which mirror mine. I am not looking forward to taking the panel off as it always seems like the clips break or I mar the vinyl in some way.
Until I get a chance this weekend, I am clearing a space in the garage…
Tony