XK 120 CW& P needed

Rob
Thanks
I did recall the MK VII parts book showing a 4.09 ratio but thought that was for the 4 HA, But in any case probably very rare.
The ENV ratios from 3.64 to 3.92 would be good for SS100s and the 4.30 from MK Vs is pretty common and has been used in SS tourers and saloons. Something that may be worth remembering for your own 2 1/2 litre SS saloon

I have a 2HA out of a XK120 collecting dust in my garage. I think it has 3:54 gears in it. I might even have one axle as well. Not sure of the condition.
I’m about to put it on Craigslist for $200…

Where is it located? I think Ed is in Australia.

It’s in Southern California.

I would defer to Ed, since he asked first, but If you are interested in parting it out, which I realize is a little bit of work, I would pay that much for just the ring and pinion, if they are still good, On the other hand, you probably won’t have any trouble selling it in Southern California at that price. Shipping the entire housing cross country wouldn’t make any economic sense.

Ed, is this for a race car or a street car? The 3:77 set I have has a quarter moon of rust across the bottom teeth of the ring gear from condensation that settled to the bottom of the housing below the gear oil. I wouldn’t put it in a street car, but it might be good enough for a race car. It will eventually wear out the pinion gear. The noise wouldn’t be an issue in a race car. I’ll have to retrieve the pinion from the housing, but it was in good shape the last time I looked at it. What ratio is your guy taking out of his housing? Maybe we can work a swap?

Here is the 3.77 ring gear I have. The pitting is limited to about 5 teeth.

Hi Mike, I just need it out of the shop.
I’ll take off the cover and send you pics of the ring and pinion. I have the tool to remove the diff if necessary. I then need to scrap the housing…

I’ll show the pic to my friend who is the one looking for it. The car is a mix of race [Hillclimb. 1/2 mile, maybe a few 5 lap events. but also driven on the road.
I’ll forward the pic onto him now and let you know. I don’t think the cost is a big issue… WE send a fair number of car parts over seas and I just take them to Pack&send, and they pack them up an deliver them to the buyer. I assume there is an equivalent at that end.

Ed, if you think you will use it, I’ll send it to you for the cost of shipping. The bare ring and pinion will fit in a USPS flat rate box, so it should not be too expensive to ship. I once sold and shipped a Halibrand quick-change center section to New Zealand. This was a 20 lb, carry-on suitcase sized chunk of magnesium. I opined “Shipping might be expensive.” His response was “Doesn’t matter, I’m going to make a clock out of it anyway.”

MIke

I just forwarded the pics to him and he is happy to take it,
I’ll PM you with email address etc. Thanks.

The gears are on their way to Australia.

Mike

Tank you so much, very grateful

I’m interested. I sent the 3.77 set to Australia.

I still have it. Actually I have 2 of them. A 3:54 XK120 2HA Diff and a 2HA out of a MK VII not sure the ratio on that one. Do you need the 2HA housing?

All I need is the ring and pinion. I have two differential units (the carrier that the ring gear bolts to). I also have one I think was from a MK5, but I think the ratio is something like, 4.27:1, not something would choose to use on the street.

I have the ENV axle in my 1950 XK120 with the usual 3.64 ratio, which I find a bit to low-geared for Motorway use. Would anyone happen to know where on earth I might find an ENV 3.27 crownwheel & pinion?? Or a recommendation for a firm that could make one (probably prohibitively expensive…!)

While there are companies that can make new. ENV spiral bevel CW&Ps at a relatively reasonable cost, the later hypoid are not so easy as one offs… and a lotmore expensive too.
Theoretically one can adapt a spiral bevel centre into a hypoid back end but it would raise you tailshaft and probably touch the transmission tunnel or a cross member. After all that was the selling point of hypoids at the time…lower floors

Yea, but up to 60 mph, it’s gonna haul ass!!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks, guys. I hadn’t realised that a hypoid would be intrinsically more expensive to make, because of the design.