XK 120 CW& P needed

I have friend here, a fellow club member, who is looking for a crown wheel and pinion for an XK 120. He needs the Salisbury type in specifically the 3.77 ratio.
I think these aren’t the first choice for Xk owners and wonder if someone has one for sale?

Hopefully the 4ha Salisbury. 2ha gearsets are beyond rare.

Mike

No regrettably it’s the 2 HA he needs. They are around , I have one in one of my cars as does a friend
I understand most XK owners prefer longer legs, but these suit Mk IV diffs and drop straight in and are a suitable ratio for pushrod engines.

Good luck! I’ve been watching for a set for 20 years. I’ve never seen a usable 2ha 3.77 set for sale. You see the 47-11, 4.27:1 ratio sets for saloons from time to time.

Has anyone ever investigated whether early Jeep, Studebaker and Ford pickup gears are the same?

Yes. I have not found a 2HA equivalent among the various Dana Spicer axles used in any of the 1950’s vehicles.

The course spline Dana-Spicer model 44 found in those models (also International Harvester) is the same as 4HA.

My Willys jeep station wagons had 4.27 or 5.38 rear ends.

Mike

Like the X Files say “the truth is out there” or in this case a 3.77 CW&P
I already have one in my car .A friend has one we sourced here in his SS hill climb car , and another friend is looking for one for his PVT Jaguar/TrIumph VSCC special.

I think you’ll find truth before you find a 3.77 2ha gearbset! have one too, out of the 2ha that came in my 120, but it had rusted while sitting, and was unfortunately not useable. On the other hand, I found complete 4ha axles to be fairly readily available, I found and bought 3 in Kentucky, for crying out loud, so it was much more expeditious to swap in a 4ha rear axle from a later 120.

Mike
But not as straightforward into an SS/ Mk IV. :>(
2 HA just flt in the CW&P , 4 HA needs a whole axle with different spring mounts , brakes adapted etc

How about this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Xk120-Axle-2HA/142703846307?hash=item2139cfe3a3:g:W2oAAOSwjXNaUPOf

AHA! My case made for me! That is a misidentified 4HA, not a 2HA! The seller was mislead by the “2HA” cast into the carrier bearing caps, which were probably the same forging for both axles. They are easy to tell apart as the ring gears look completely different. Plus it is a premium price for what appears to be a pretty crappy housing. And it’s in the UK, not the US.

Here’s how you can tell them apart. Left to right, front row: Salisbury 2HA, Salisbury 4HA (actually Dana/Spicer 44, but looks and acts the same) Back row is a 4HA Powr Lok. The 2HA differential is very distinctive in that the ring gear bolts thread through a threaded flange on the inside diameter of the ring gear, instead of directly into the back of the toothed part of the gear as is done on the 4HA (and virtually all differential units, save for Toyota).

Truth there, but if you include the search time, you will be done a lot quicker. I’ll bet you could swap the spring mounts in the time it would take to set the backlash and pinion preload. And while I am wholly ignorant of the MKIV, if it’s anything like the 120 2HA, the brakes should swap straight over to the 4HA.

The 2 HAs are very easy to identify without dismantling The shape of the rear cover plate is quite different. THe 2HA being basically circular. and a thinner "bulge for the crown wheel.

The 4 HA are a different track. I’m not sure about the brake mounting holes, Quite possibly the same 6 but the cars with rod brakes have them oriented to place the rods in a specific position
One could hypothetically Cut the tubes and shorten / reposition them but that’s not easy or cheap.

The 2 HAs are out there as I have already found 2 , for myself and a friend… XK owners i have spoken to don’t seem t regard them as a particularly desirable ratio,

I think XK120s might have also had a similar ration n the ENVs Can any one give me any info on that . The postwar ENV , although hypoid are a fairly easy conversion into the spiral bevel SS back axle housings.

Yes sir, absolutely so. The eBay axle had no rear cover present, however, so all there was to go on were the internal parts, and a lot of folks are not familiar with the internal peculiarities.

Optional ENV axle ratios listed in the XK120 SPC are:
3.27 (18/59)
3.64 (14/51)
3.92 (12/47)
4.30 (10/43)
4.56 (9/41)

There were two changes in the part number series, possibly related to brakes, and one change in differential unit p/n series, but no change in the crown/pinion set part numbers.

Some Mark Vs also used the ENV but the Spare Parts Catalogue lists only the 3.5L with the 4.30 ratio. The Service Manual says there were 2.5Ls with the 4.55 (9/41) ratio, but as they are not in the SPC this may be a mistake.

Another difference to note is that the ENV brake backing plates are held on by 6 bolts where the Salisbury have 5.

The 2HA Salisbury ratios in the Mark V were 4.27 (47/11) for the 3.5L and 4.55 (50/11) for the 2.5L, with smaller print in the SPC listing the 4.09 and 3.77 ratios as being available for the 3.5L, presumably as a special order or dealer conversion.

The earliest Mark VIIs also had the 2HA 4.27 (47/11) axle.

Ed, would that also be a housing swap? I once owned a 1950 XK120 with a ENV rear axle, but I never had need to fool with it, so other than the factory service manual information,mi an ignorant of the internal design. I can’t imagine that the internal components are interchangeable with a 2HA, are they?

Before I swapped in the 4HA, I bought a set of gears out of a saloon 2HA, simply because I could find nothing else.

Were there any other manufacturers who also used the 2HA axles? Jaguar surely wasn’t alone in this?

Mike
ENV diffs were a front loading type. Pre war they were spiral bevel but postwar they were hypoid.
SSs up to WW2 were all ENV spiral bevel. These were a bit fragile, partly because owners took the wait till it breaks before doing something attitude to maintenance.
However the post was ENV despite being hypoid can be substituted fairly easily, partly because all the mounting bolt holes except 2 are the same. So SS saloon owners often keep an eyeout and put MkV 3 1/2 ENV diff centres in [ 4,25 ratio] It would be handy to know if any post war ENVs [ say in XK 120s] came in a ratio of about 3.77:1 suitable for SS100s]

This is quite separate to Salisbury which were in all MK IVs. And fo r these rear axles the 3.77 CW&P in 2 HA is a drop in change over. So no , there is no interchangability between Salisbury and ENV , or between 2 HA and 4 HA.
Other makes of cars used 2 HA and ENV but these tended to be awful ratios like 5,25:1 I have’nt found anything else with long ratios.
You’d have to be looking at cars with large [ for the time] engines with a capacity for high top speed.
So to the case in point. The friend has a MK IV rear [and front] axle and Moss 4 speed box , etc in the car but it has a 4 .27 ratio which is going to be awful to drive with an OHC Jag engine.