XK 120 Manette tube

Hi all,
Can anyone provide me with the specification- outer dia, inner dia, length, of the manette extention tube?
In case of confusion I am talking about the tube which extends from the small steering box clamp, up through the steering column and fits at its upper end into the tube carrying the wires from the manette.
I understand that the tube has 5" long slots at the upper end, to engage with the dimples in the short manette tube?
My tube is missing and I would like to sort this out before installing the steering box.
Thanks, Tony

Tony,

I had the same problem but found it difficult in the UK to find tubing of the right diameter and appropriate thickness. So in the end I took the easy route and bought one from Coventry Auto Components and it fits nicely.

Anyway, good luck with the fabrication.

I found it in my notes.
1/2" OD x 27/64" ID x 63-7/16" long steel tube with 1/16" wide slot 4-1/4" long at rear end

metalsdepot.com has 1/2" OD x .049 wall x 6ft DOM tube at $50

That is perfect!
Thanks Rob

I have a brand new Manette tube I got from the UK some years ago but did not use it. If interested let me know. tom

Hi Tom,

Thankyou for the offer, it is now sorted thanks to the dimensions from Rob and a 2 metre length of 12.7 mm o/d x 1.5 mm wall steel tube from my local steel stockholder.
It cost £10 plus a bit of my time, so a good result I think.

Next job is refitting the gearbox and installation of the RHD steering box.

Tony

Apparently, this special o-ring chokes around the manette tube and keeps the steering box oil from escaping from around the tube. It looks like it’s made of cork and has a triangular cross-section. Are these reliable; should I reinstall it or is there a smarter remedy? I don’t think one can find a standard o-ring this small with that thick of a cross-section. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

john

It was square when it was new. I used a rubber o-ring and RTV sealant.
BTW the aluminum housing and brass idler top were painted black along with everything else, after assembly at Bluemels.

Thanks Rob. I didn’t know that about the box. I’ll try and fid a suitable o-ring.

john

I used an O ring, described by the suppliers as BS (British Standard) 206 1/2" I/D X 1/8 section.

With an appropriate amount of sealer it did the job.

Thanks, I used an O-ring with RTV, hopefully it will do it. I will know much later.

john