XK 140 OTS is it SE? Seeking information to confirm

Hello! I’m newcomer on this vintage car field and fresh & proud! owner of 1956 XK-140 OTS SE.
It is not “matching numbers” (engine has been changed), but there are still some things that worries me about car’s originality… This originally US car and also restored there in 80’s. Imported to Sweden on 1995 and after to Finland in 2003.

In identification plate there’s “mismatch” in the stamping - like engine no. is stamped “G 7084 / 85” not “… / 8S” and gearbox number has one number difference (last digit) compared to JDHT sertificate.
Also the cylinder head looks wrong to my eye beiing original to SE?
Are there any dabase to investigate where this head is originally from?
Any help appreciated!

Here’s pic of the car’s identification plate

More marks on the cylinder head

Number V6403-9 is a standard ‘B’ Type head, this one fitted originally to a 3.4 litre XK150, probably about Feb 1959. Originally would have been painted a duck egg green/blue colour, not the red it is now.

The Identification Plate is a stamped up reproduction, thus explaining the errors such as /85 instead of -8S, and no JLE prefix on the Gearbox Number, probably left off as the font size is far bigger than original, so not enough room to stamp full JLE36170CR.

But no way of telling if these four numbers were the originals for this car, that can only be done if you get a Jaguar Heritage Certificate.
Best to get a Certificate if such things matter to you.

Thanks for your reply Roger,
This is very helpful, but still some kind of mystery to me :neutral_face: But I’m learning. Carburetors looks from outside like SE-model one’s, same is with exhaust (manifold + pipes). Is it very common to change only cylinder head? And to newer model’s head?

This car seems to had poor maintenance, but yet I don’t have plans to open the engine as it is in running condition.

you should obtain the fine book…XK140 Explored…R.Payne. Inspect all over for numbers…as you are…on carbs, head, block, note and photo them, this is the forum to ask your questions…experts live here. Very common for cyl heads to be replaced with whatever was available: If runnnin well…then you can leave alone…someday with cam covers off you can see what cams,someday with head off…can see what else was done by prior owners…meanwhile be a detective, but worry less and enjoy a fine car.

Jari
As Roger states the cylinder head is from an XK 150, the last number being a ’ 9 ’ meaning it is a high compression, this would give you about 10 extra HP if you had the larger dome pistons, however as you have a 140 block you probably have 8-1 compression pistons as all 140’s were manufactured with 8-1. The combustion chambers in the head were all the same size I believe, the exhaust valve is larger in the 150 at 1-5/8, with the 140 at 1-7/16.The ’ C 'type from the 140 however did have the larger exhaust valves.

Jari
The cylinder head 6403-9 probably came from a RHD FHC Jan- Feb 1959. other cars from that time period 6400-9 Jan 59, 6405-9 Feb 59.both FHC. RHD.

Everything you ever wanted to know about what came from where in XK series engine numbers:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/engine_numbers.htm

Hey Morris, I think “most” XK140’s were 8:1 compression, but not all. Mine is 9:1, authenticated by my Heritage Certificate.
Dave

Thanks Gents for all your valuable comments!
I got JDHT sertificate for this car. Body and chassis do match, but engine don’t. Also interior and soft top hood has been changed from black to amber/light brown - I assume it’s done in the past in U.S. And with gearbox number this re-produced identification plate has “mismatch”? (36170) compared to the JDHT certificate number (36178). Thanks for the tips with good books. Here’s pic of my beauty

Thx Nick,
Yeah - as a first step I’m gonna fix all major issues effecting to the drivability before the summer. Then enjoy and continuing with the “rust bugs” on the next autumn-winter…

One another thing I’m trying to find out is what was the factory look for OTS SE/MC?
Where they all with wire wheels when coming out from the production line?
Mine is now with steelies and spats on the rear? Also the painting in the hubcaps looks different I have
seen in some historic xk140 photos

Hi Jari,
Your XK looks very nice. Thank you for posting the picture.

I also have a 1956 XK140, with the SE option, and yes, most of the 140s with the SE option came from the factory with wire wheels and no spats on the rear fenders.

However, there are a few exceptions, where the XK had the SE option, but came with steel wheels and the spats.
Your XK seems to be one of those, although it is possible that a prior owner may have made some changes.

My 140 has the SE option and also has the steel wheels and the mounts on the body for attaching the spats (although the spats were missing when I bought the car). You can see pictures of my car on the XKData website, S818919DN.

I have read in the archives that factory-original spats had the body number of the vehicle stamped into them somewhere, so you may want to inspect your spats closely to try to find the body number.

The shiny chrome rings seen on your steel wheels appear to be the Ace Rimbellisher trim rings. These were, according to the 140 parts manual, optional from the factory. I like them.

Hope this helps.