XK 150 Gearbox main shaft rehab

I have dis-assembled a JL type Moss gearbox. The main and lay shafts have a moderate amount of damage in the needle bearing surface areas. The lay shaft is on offer as a replacement part from many sources but not the main shaft. Used parts on offer I’ve seen are as bad or worse than mine. Has anyone had success with repairing the bearing surfaces on a shaft? I spoke to a metal spray guy and he said that would not work as the material used is too slippery (the rollers will skid rather than roll). I wonder if it would be possible to use bushes in the gears in place of the rollers?

I was unable to find suitable a replacement for my Moss reverse gear spindle. I finally gave up and sent it to a shop that does precision grinding and hard chrome plating to restore high speed electric generator spindles. It hasn’t been put to the test yet but it looks perfect. That service is not remotely inexpensive, but it may be worth checking out if you’ve expired your options. Have you already tried sourcing a good used one?

I can’t imagine trying to bush those gears. Look at your reverse spindle and feel the palpable wear marks from a bush riding on it.