inspired by Rogers topic dealing with the evolution of the
HF1748 horn, I disassembled two low-note horns 70063.
One was rebuild by someone: 70063D dated 1/55
the other is a NOS-Horn: 70063H dated 1/66.
For Rogers post see:
I found some differences:
NOS 70063H (1/66) has
- 4 small holes on the outer rim
- a more modern condenser which also have moved in position
- no thread in the casing to mount the old-style condenser
that doesn’t exist anymore
rebuild 70063D (1/55) has
- no holes on the outer rim
- old style condenser
- thread in the housing to mount the condenser
Concerning originality I found that the central locking nut
is painted, whereas all other screws, nuts and washers
Furthermore the mounting bracket is painted only partially.
For details please see my photo album below.
Whereas the diaphragm of the NOS-Horn is also painted on
the underside in a color which I believe is RAL7048 (pearl
mouse grey), the underside of the rebuild horn (1/55) has
remnants of some black color.
I hope this adds some information to the limited knowledge
we have on this lucas horn.
1958 XK150 DHC