XK120 battery location

I have the PC1200, 540 CCA, 7.87 by 6.66 , 6.8 tall, in my 120 OTS.
NOW…this part has ZERO to do with the unnecessary trunk mount modification: When I re-manufactured my battery boxes, nice thick steel, (with a flange around top so I can lift the box out–nice access to shocks tops etc.) I made the boxes about a half inch or so larger than stock. Odyssey PC1200 series . the entire battery area was cleaned up of rust, seal coated with KBS, then full width steel overlay of the entire side to side, and down to floor bend, redone in steel. Not only is it rock solid for battery box inserts (both sides–driver side is like a glove box storage)…but it provided thickness for anchoring of seat belts.
(odysseybatteries.com)

Nick

and…on topic of battery location, FYI for the 120 OTS, this a 53==the original battery box dimensions are found to be: measuring the right side box ( i believe both are same) ;
7/3/4 front to back width, x7 1/2 wide across side to side, x 5 3/4 deep. , with 5/8 flange.…

1 Like

Can’t say why you needed 2. I have been on a single PC925 for over 11 years and it will crank/start the car at 32F without any problems. And that’s with the original starter and 9:1 compression ratio.

Perhaps your wiring is too small or your starter is electrically not 100%.

John

Hi Bill,

Very good idea with a small 12V instead for two 6V. And also putting it in the boot.
In my 1952 120OTS there are two 6v batts behind the seats. It´s also positive to ground.
Can you tell me where you put the ground wire (a very thick one I guess) I mean where does it sit to the chassis?

Hi, I haven’t done it yet as had to take the engine/trans out again to deal with a minor clutch issue. My Healey’s have the batteries in the boot and I like it because it’s easy to deal with any battery issues. When I got my XK, the previous owner removed the entire battery box compartment behind the seats and had jury-rigged the battery up under the right front fender where the 140 battery goes. I had to make a new compartment/parcel shelf area which came out real nice and gives a lot of storage room now behind the seats. I am keeping the car positive ground, at least for now, and plan on grounding the battery to the frame on the right side to the rear of where the battery will go.

Hi:

The ground cable is attached to the diagonal strut (located either side of the boot), it can just be seen in attached photo. Also visible is the red handled cut-off switch that I routed the “hot” cable through which allows me to isolate the battery, a good anti-theft idea. I re-did the floor panels in 3/4" ply as the original 12V batteries were full-size units and much heavier than the current Odyssy.

Chris.