XK120 battery location

I am going to put the battery in the boot. Has anyone done this and if so, what gauge wire do I need? It will still be positive ground…

Hi Bill:

Yes, I did this many years ago. New cable can be fabricated from bulk battery cable sourced from any reputable automotive parts store as can the cable ends. I also retained positive ground. I use an Odyssey sealed battery that is smaller than the regular 12V. Some folks have fitted these into the space occupied by a single 6V unit, using it’s opposite number as a storage cubby.

Chris.

Can’t you fit Lithium batteries? I’ve seen something on the E Type forum.

My FHC had the battery already moved to the luggage area when the car came to me, I just tidied it up and put a new hardura mat. Being a FHC it is not easy to lift the batteries in and out of the original position and it is really convenient with the new place for it. Ok, it is not placed as Jaguar intended but I doubt I will reinstall 2x6V batteries.

Ok. ( no 2 six v needed. One Odyssey fits in one box.

It would be useful for the archives if someone could give the model and part number for this Odyssey battery, and if there are different configurations necessary for positive and negative ground.

I have one odessy in the passenger side battery box and it fits quite nicely. Have been using it for 5 years with no problem - still cranks great. xk120

Can you give us the model and part number?
The Odyssey web site has no listing for XK120 and no feature to shop by size.

Rob:

The model Odyssey I have is PC9, the dimensions are: Length 6 1/2" Width 7" Height to top of post 5 3/4"

4 gauge will be fine for 10 feet. Allowable ampacity is also a function of the temperature limitations of the insulation jacket. EPDM is more expensive, but will tolerate higher temperatures, and higher amps, than PVC. Fine stranded wire is much more flexible than thicker strands and also has less resistance. I like to use welding cable which is fine stranded and has a high temp oil resistant jacket.

1 Like

PC9 doesn’t come up on a search. Is there more to the part number?

I agree welding cable is best.

The Optima web site also does not have a listing for XK120, and no search by size option.

Ok near as I can guess, this might be it.

ODS-AGM28LMJA

(PC925MJT)

This is the one I got and it fits just fine in the existing passenger side battery well. I also purchased the add on standard posts. Mine is negative ground.

Here’s the terminal kit. Mark

Here are a couple of pics of my battery set up and a closeup with model number

My Odyssey 925 is approaching 10 years of service. Absolutely no corrosion on the terminals in all that time.

I recently learned from our local British car repair shop that the six volt lead acid batteries are no longer available in the U.S. I don’t know if that is a temporary supply chain issue or a permanent situation.

In my opinion, the twin 6 volt batteries were awful. They destroyed numerous battery boxes with their overflows of acid. I won’t miss them.

1 Like

Yep, the old acid filled tar tops with screw on caps, or later plastic cases with push on tops, 6V or 12V, all made corrosion of battery trays before they had fume drain hoses. My S2 E-type was only 6 years old when the battery support tray collapsed due to corrosion.

Anyway looks like we have found a solution.
The PC925 and the ODS-AGM28LMJA (PC925MJT) are slightly different in published size dimensions but presumably could be considered the same.

For those who have a single Odyssey PC925, how is it that you’re able to get away with using just one battery? The 330 cold cranking amps (CCA) is enough to be able to start your cars? I initially bought one and immediately found that it didn’t have enough “oomph” to start my '120 so I bought a second, connected it in parallel and have been enjoying the benefits of these since. I’ll never go back to the old “wet” type of batteries that off-gas corrosive fumes.

I was also kind of hoping I could get away with just one battery if only so I could say, “Look Jan, how thoughtful of Jaguar to include this discreet champagne bucket behind the seat”. Not gonna happen while I’m running two batteries.