Xk120 fuel gauge

I believe my fuel gauge is not working. I have replaced the sending unit, still no fuel level indication. Two questions, I have removed the gauge, how do I bench test it? Second question, what is the part number if I need to replace it?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil,

This question has come up many times over the last few years and I have written up a way of testing the gauge which you should be able to find in the archive. If you can’t, PM me and I’ll send you the details.

If you find a replacement gauge you will be very fortunate. I have been looking for four or five years and haven’t found the correct one except as part of complete instrument panel which I couldn’t afford.

If it is faulty and you are very careful you may well be able to repair it yourself. They are really quite simple but if you don’t want to try it yourself there companies in the UK and the US that repair and restore all the instruments.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

I’m restoring an early XK120 with a dual oil and petrol gauge. The engine was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the car but I’d like to check the oil sending unit to see if it is working properly. I haven’t filled it yet with oil so is there someway I can check the sending unit as I add oil? Thanks.

If there’s no oil in it, you can remove the sending unit, then connect a couple of long test leads (alligator clip wires), one to the threaded terminal from wire 20, and the sender body to ground, then turn on the ignition and push the dashboard switch while moving the float up and down. You should see the needle move between full and empty.

The wiring diagram doesn’t show it, but the sender body is grounded to the sump.

I removed the fuel gauge from my XK120 dash. I find that it is the incorrect gauge. Does anyone have a XK120 gauge with the description at the top of X4922/200 which I am told is the correct gauge for a XK120. It does not have to be working. I will sent to Nisongers in Mamaroneck, NY to get refurbished.

Thanks,

Neil
1954 Jaguar XK120OTS S675746
papaskipper@sc.rr.com

Hi Neil,

I’m not sure if you’re seeking the exact right gauge for 100 point car or whether you have completely the wrong type of gauge at present and that’s why it isn’t working. You do find Smiths gauges from this era on eBay UK from time to time and the ones with numbers beginning with an X are all pretty similar internally. So much so that the Smiths gauge test boxes do not differentiate between them so that one set of tests does for all the gauges of this type.
I only point this out because if you need a replacement gauge and can’t find the correct one, a replacement dial could be fitted to a different gauge of the right series to get you out of trouble. It is true that the low fuel warning light was not that common a feature so gauges that have it are rarer but they are around.

Eric

Eric, thank you for your post. Yes, I believe I need the correct fuel gauge. when I took the fuel gauge out of the instrument panel I found that the restorer I used put a XK150 gauge in. The gauge I have has tabs on the side instead of a retainer ring. My XK has screw brackets which hold the gauges in the instrument panel. I wanted to get the correct gauge so that the fuel gauge will mount correctly into the instrument panel. If you know of anyone who has XK120 gauges, please let me know. Thanks again for your post. its XK lovers like you who help us other XK lovers.

Neil

OK, I understand the problem. With luck, someone on the forum will offer a spare but if not you could try Coventry Auto Components (www.coventryautocomponents.co.uk) who sometimes have some second hand gauges or failing that Tom Kent, also in the UK, who seems to be able find just about anything for an XK. His email is ashkent@btinternet.com.

Good hunting.

Eric