XK120 Owners Handbook dating

While looking in some Qumran caves (Illinois antique shops), I found an original (not recent reprint) XK120 handbook which is missing the cover and the last page where the printing date was.
It covers the FHC so is not one of the first three versions, it must be one of the later seven.
It does not cover wire wheels.
The company address on page 57 is Foleshill.
Is there any other way to put a date or RP version identification on it?

Rob,
Somewhere I have a complete comparison of all 10 issues of the XK120 Handbook, but not on my electronic files, so must be hand written and stored with my actual XK120 Handbooks collection, which numbers 24 - all 10 issues, plus 14 variations to the added/stuck in errata/amendments that kept a handbook up-to-date between updated re-issues.
As you say - it covers FHC, so is not Issues 1 to 3, so has to be 4 to 10.

4, 1/3/51
5. 1/1/52
6. 3/4/52
7. R.P.3 13/11/52
8. R.P.4
9. R.P.5
10. R.P.5 (post production, spare-parts issue)

The only clue you give is page 57 address is Foleshill.

Issues 1/3/51, 1/1/52, 3/4/52, R.P.3 13/11/52, and R.P.4 shows FOLESHILL, COVENTRY
R.P.5 and R.P.5 (post-production) shows just COVENTRY.

So that narrows it down to five issues.

Can you advise if at lower-left on face-page whether Telephone is shown as:
88681 COVENTRY (Ten Lines) Applicable to 1/3/51, 1/1/52

or

COVENTRY 62677 (P.B.X.) Applicable to 3/4/52, R.P.3 13/11/52 and R.P.4

Once you advise whether one of two, or one of three, we can go the next step!

Roger

Rob,

A most unique find. I’m going to have to defer to Roger, (cc’d) who, in the not too distant past, indicated that he was aware of 8 different versions of the 120 Handbook. With any luck, he may be able to date your book, despite its missing pages.

Regards,

Dick

Thanks Roger and Dick. This is not an urgent request; I’m not going to put it on ebay or anything.

Telephone on page 1 is 88681 COVENTRY (Ten Lines)

So that’s fantastic, as either the 1/3/51 or the 1/1/52 printings would be compatible with my Nov 51 car despatched Feb 52.

I went to the craft store and found a piece of dark green card paper the right color for a cover. So if I can find or make a label I will have a “restored” handbook. :grinning:

OK Rob,

Just about there.
We are now down to two out of the ten different issues, the fourth 1/3/51 or the fifth 1/1/52.

If this had front cover would be very easy, as the 1/3/51 issue is the only one with a GREEN label stuck onto the dark-Green coloured cover card. The 1/1/52 and all later issues have the same dark-Green card cover, but have a very contrasting YELLOW label. (The first three issues had a dark-yellow label stuck on a YELLOW card cover.)

Easiest way to differentiate the 1/3/51 and 1/1/52 issues is to refer to the page 6 INDEX OF CONTENTS.

With the 1/3/51 issue under the PART 1 OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS are a number of sub-headings in bold, in following order:-

Accessories …20
Frost Precautions …22
Hood - Raising, Lowering and Stowing …25
etc

The 1/1/52 adds a new sub-heading:

Accessories …20
Air Conditioning Equipment …26
Frost Precautions …22
Hood - Raising, Lowering and Stowing …25
etc

Now I also note that although the 1/3/51 does not show the Air Conditioning Equipment …26 within its Index of Contents, you will find on page 26 the same detail is described and provided as with the 1/1/51 issue.
So it would seen this is just a correction to an Index omission, rather than any technical change - albeit a simple identifier as to which issue you have.

If you are further interested, once you advise whether yours is now a 1/3/51 or 1/1/52 issue, as before, there are sub-variations of both these issues, based on added stick-in updates/amendments - or not.

For instance in the 1/3/51 issue, I have three variations based on added amendments or not.
Earliest 1/3/51 is clean - no added stick-ins/updates.
Second 1/3/51 is clean also, apart from p.20 having an 5-1/4" x 1/2" errata sheet heading Cigar Lighter stuck over old as-printed text. And on page.29 - a similar 5" x 1" errata sheet stuck over the Recommended Lubricants table for Water Pump/Fan/Propeller Shaft Spline/All Chassis Nipples/Wheel Bearings.

(It is possible of course that there was a 1/3/51 issue that had only one of these p.20 and p.29 Errata, with my example having both being a slightly later amendment.)
These added in Errata and Amendments of course allow more accurate interim dating between the 1/3/51 and 1/1/52 handbook issue dates, and a bit of research may well be able to date both the Cigar Lighter and the Lubricants amendments. A task for the future!

My third 1/3/51 has both the p.20 and p.29 Errata, but also now stuck inside the inside front cover (missing on yours of course) is a red 4"x3-3/4"Amendment Sheet titled ADDENDUM to XK.120 HANDBOOK which details updates to p.13. p.18 and p.26 - so again detail that can be dated.

There is a similar situation with the 1/1/52 Handbook, of which I have four variations based on added stick-ins/updates, and can advise if it turns out you have a 1/1/52 Handbook, and not the 1/3/51 issue…

Clearly there may well be additional variants to both these 1/3/51 and 1/1/52 handbooks that to date I have not yet seen, nor indeed obtained a copy for my collection, but that’s as good as I have at present.

Roger

Roger

Isn’t this fun! Mine has the Air Conditioning Equipment addition to the Index on page 6, so that puts it as a 1/1/52 or Jan 1, 1952 edition, perfect for my car.

I have no added amendments or inserts, although any that may have been there could have fallen out. The title page is missing about 3/8" along the left hand side, and someone has written the firing order in ink there. :disappointed:

Looking at the Plate 16 on page 26 it looks like it might be 679002. I notice the ID plate is on the horizontal shelf where mine is on the vertical, so yet another variation for the JCNA Guide. Pancake air filter too.

OK Rob,

Seems like you have the 1/1/52 issue - the fifth of the 10 published, and superseded by the next 3/4/52 issue, so a short lived issue of 3+ months.

As before, I have four variants of this 1/1/52 issue, as a result of add-ons/errata.

A. CLean copy of 1/1/52 as printed with no add-ons/errata
B. An ADDENDUM stuck inside the front cover, regarding SPECIAL EQUIPMENT models. Now I assume this was added to all 1/1/52 once the SE package became available, and was not just provided in Handbooks supplied with actual SE cars.
C. A second Addendum, stuck again inside front cover, re amendments to page 32.
D. And another Addendum stuck onto the inside of the Rear Cover. This time its an actual Label as was fitted on the XK120 MINOR REPLACEMENT OUTFIX box, supposedly as supplied to all XK120 supplied to most/all export markets.
So I believe supplied to Handbooks included in Literature Packs of export XK120, but not to those supplied to the UK home market, as there was no intention/effort for these cars to receive an actual MRO.

See attached photo of this MRO label, as stuck in rear cover of a spare copy I have of 1/1/52 XK120 Handbook.
Sad about the stain, as Handbook is otherwise excellent +

Roger, you may have burst my balloon. :disappointed:
My copy on page 32 says front brakes are self-adjusting, (original printing, not an insert). Mine are not, I have Micrams. So it must date from around April '52 when self-adjusting front brakes were announced in SB106, and about 435 FHCs after mine had been built. Or did they print them a few months in advance? Or did they goof on the telephone number?

Curiously enough, my other copy, dated 3/4/52, with telephone COVENTRY 62677 (P.B.X.) on the title page and Foleshill on page 57, gives instructions on page 32 for adjusting the front brakes, clearly describing the Micrams.
One would think this one to be older than the other one we have been investigating.
This one has a green cover with yellow label and has an amendment stuck to the inside front cover describing the engine block heater element. There is also the remnants of another piece of paper about 3-1/2 to 4" wide that was once stuck to the top of the title page, now gone.