XK120 Radio Amplifier Mounting Bracket

I am looking for an XK120 radiomobile 4200 amplifier mounting bracket, as shown in the photo below. This bracket was located on the shelf between the two batteries. If anyone has one I can either buy or borrow to make a copy, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wyn,

Won’t be easy to find this bracket: took me 3 years to get one. Finally found one in the UK and I was able to persuade the seller to sell it separately from a radio! There are actually two bracket types: early (your photo) and a later one (see photos below). Both will fit the average Radiomobile radio of the mid/late Fifties.
I did make a dimensional sketch/drawing of the bracket. If you’re able to manufacture one yourself I could send you a copy via PM.

Bob K.

Bob,
I have an FHC with an April 1953 build date (S681035) so I am thinking it would have probably had a earlier type bracket, but I really don’t know for sure. But assuming I can’t find an original, the later bracket you show is certainly easier to manufacture. I have access to a good machine shop so making one like that is no problem. If you could send me the drawing it would be very helpful!

Also, do you know how it should be mounted? I have seen photos of the bracket mounted horizontally (attached to the vertical panel behind the battery area as shown in my previous photo) or mounted vertically (attached to the floor panel of the battery area, as your photo seems to indicate, and as shown the Jaguar installation drawing below). Did they change mounting depending on the bracket type or the radio model?

My amplifier is shaped exactly like the one in the drawing below, with the protruding post (A) and the 3 raised threaded mounts (B).

Many thanks! - Wyn

My '54 OTS came with the earlier bracket and was mounted as depicted in your drawing. Same amplifier as well.

The illustration is for OTS only.FHC (and DHC) us different.

Roger,
Do you know how it differed for FHC?
Wyn

Wyn,
I am away from home for another three weeks, so don’t have access to all my research material.The red illustration is - I am pretty sure - a copy of just one illustration in a Radiomobile booklet I have that specifically covers just the 1951 XK120 OTS, albeit many parts are shared with different models, but others are different.
I don’t have an original FHC XK120 Radiomobile booklet, but do gave booklets for Mark V and Mark VII saloons which have a similar vertical mounting arrangement as XK120 FHC and DHC.
That’s of top of my head.I need to check my research collection / papers for anything more.
Someone else may indeed have originals of these model specific Radiomobile booklets, albeit I am not aware of any others held, nor indeed circulated
Roger

Hi Wyn:

When I first got my July build 1953 XK120 DHC back in 1963 the amp was mounted inside the tool chest that, like the FHC, sits behind the seats and covers the battery wells. Both radio and amp have long gone from my car, but that is certainly one way the FHC/DHCs differed from the OTS.

Chris.

Wyn,

Roger recognized the “red drawing” immediately as he is the source of this info (thanks Roger!). Like Roger said, the exact position for the FHC is unclear but we may assume that the position is not in the front of the car under the dashboard and therefore (most likely) identical to the OTS. Whether horizontally or to the rear wall remains open.
I understand that only a limited number of cars had a factory fitted radio and most of these radios were fitted by dealers, in particular in the USA (Radiomobile replaced by Emitron branded versions for legal reasons).
Note that Jaguar also “played” with the position of the Amplifier. The official Smiths/Radiomobile recommendations have not always been followed by Jaguar. Also for later models the position varied considerably: the XK 140 FHC had the bracket mounted (horizontally) at the underside of the parcel shelf and the XK 150 had the bracket with Amplifier placed in a vertical position against the inner wing of the LH rear wheel…
Will send you my sketch by PM.

Bob K.

Wyn, I have the OTS bracket - I can copy it on paper for you, if you like, or even go to the shop I use tu cut my metal pieces to copy it physically for you.

Let me know if you need my help.

I am also btw looking for brackets to mount the radio under the dash:

The ones marked in green.
If anyone can share their dimensions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have been looking for them for a number of years now - the ones marked in green…

Tadek

there were 2 different locations for XK150 earlier cars same as XK140 later car as you note mounted on bracket welded to horizontal surface against the inner wing of the LH rear wheel arch

Wyn,

This is a scan of the bracket sides:

Tadek

Thank you Tadek.

One question – is the 213 mm measurement just the length of the red line, or is 213mm the entire width of the bracket from side to side?

Wyn

My setup is unrestored and waiting its turn in the queu for attention.

I overlaid the bracket onto 1/4" graph paper vis:

a little darker scan to highlight the graph paper:

There is a locking tab on my setup, illustrated above.

Can take and post some pics if helpful

Hi,

It’s the bracket, side to side.
Cheers, tadek

Thank you Nick, that is very helpful. If you could send me some photos that would be helpful too. I didn’t know there were supposed to be locking tabs. Can you also show a photo of them and how they work?
Wyn

I just realized the first picture in this thread was of my car.
Here is a better picture.

I was going to take it out to measure it, but there are nuts on the back, so I can’t get it off easily right now. Probably have to take out a floor panel first to reach up under there.

There’s only one locking tab:

This is a pic of the entire original setup, including control unit and antenna:

This tag on the amplifier:

This sheet on the inside of the control unit

Thank you Nick. These photos are extremely helpful. One more thing, if I could impose again… Could you measure the length of the control cable for me? My cable is a short one for an under the dash amplifier mount, so i will need to modify to the correct length.
Wyn

That particular question I answered in January, 2014, so I knew where to look. 78", tip to tip.