XK120 Rear bumper spring bars

On getting around today to installing the rear bumper spring bars it appears the pair that came with my basket case XK120 are for the coupes as there’s an inch gap between them and the side members.

OTS p/n C.3784
FHC & DHC p/n C.5807

The reach of the ones in hand is 3”, should be closer to 4” I expect.

Can anyone confirm this is part number C.5807?

Fixable with an inch of shims, but I’d rather install the right parts.

Thx.

That slight “kink” in the bar, (where it attaches to the large chrome nut) is actually “damage” and , when straightened, will very likely correct the spacing you’re concerned about.
Let me know if you need a picture of a “straight” one.

OTS.

Nick, I think your spring bars would fit fine on my November 1953 OTS. I measure roughly 3.25 inches, when installed, on each side.

I took them off the car about two years ago to have them powder coated. I don’t recall applying any excessive force when re-installing.

Ah. Thanks for that observation, Dick. They’re both like that, so it would appear they were hit way back when, maybe backing up into a wall since there was no rear end damage. Looks like Mitch has provided the pic of a straight one … thanks, Mitch.

and Mike.

A good shape:

Thanks, Dick. Looks like I’ll need to refinish these again. Compared to yours they’re pretty well bent out of shape.

Cant they just be pulled up to the frame?

There’s a large, chrome extension that passes through the body. If I was to force the piece in place it would cause the extension to bear down hard on the aperture and sever the finishing grommet … so, shorter answer, no.

I find it hard to believe that those bars bent so close to the bolt holes but not AT the bolt holes.

I think the bends are deliberate.

They sure look it. It’s been so long since I restored these parts I’ve forgotten what I did. I certainly would have “straightened” them, though obviously ignorant of the correct shape.