XK120 replacing bushings

Hi all, as a recent retiree, I am getting ready to put our old xk120 on the road. It has sat for many years and one of the tasks is replacing the front bushings. I have the service manual but I am not real clear on a couple of things…it sounds like if I take the wishbones apart I have to mess with the torsion bar? Also the book refers to the “muff” but I’m not sure what that is. Finally, on J.10 it says that when refitting the wishbone that it is essential to have the car is the normal riding position? How can it be in the normal riding position when the assembly is apart and the car is on jacks? I have replaced bushings on Austin Healeys but this is a whole different animal. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx.

Hi…torsion bar suspension isnt difficult…but you must just remember that it isa big spring under tension so need to understand how it works to be safe removeing and refitting…the muff is a cover over the torsion bar splines at the front end of the bar…normal ride height is achived by useing a setting link (tool) to simulate ride height when reassembling…details in service manual…You main problem coukd be seized nuts bolts…so start with some penetrating fluid now…all the best…Steve

Just mark the relative positions of the splines, muff and wishbones before taking the weight off. The torsion bars can then be remkved and re-installed without further adjustment.

Thats assuming the car is at the correct ride height currently…so worth measureing it first

1 Like

I’ve done it on two cars, my XK120 and Mark V, most parts identical.
Another forum member went through this just a couple of months ago.
Read this thread.