XK140 Front Fender brace

I am reassembling a XK140 OTS. There is a brace between the front fenders midway behind the grill. For lack of a better description, it is a pipe. Can anyone tell me the diameter, the length and details of fastner points. It appears I need to make one as I cannot locate the original. I see fromthe archives someone else has asked this question but I could not find the answer.

it is 1" O.D. thin wall pipe that is 28" long (7" inside each fender and 14" between the fenders. I can email a pic of how it attaches in the middle of a formed u channel on either side. I haven’t taken one yet but I can. I haven’t posted a pic before on Jag-Lovers you could PM me your email if you fine with that.

John McDowell

there are 4 anti crush strengthening tubes that go through it and then 8 1/2 cotton reels mounted either side as spacers.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from XK140 Front Fender brace:

That’s some pretty valuable information I couldn’t have offered, good job Terry! Explains why the thin wall could have possibly been structural.

I realize now what you meant by the 4 anti crush pipes when I looked in the 140 factory parts book. I’m sorry My comment and “my like” must have have sounded like I was trying to be a smart ass. That truly was the furthest thing from my mind. I thought you meant there were 4 pipes running length wise in the tube. It puzzled me that I didn’t notice that on my car so I that’s why I went to the parts book. BTW are the cotton reels a 1/2" diameter and very thin". I don’t seem to see them.
Regards, John MCDOWELL

I figured out the crush tubes finally also. I assume they only need to be the length of the space between the u-channel of the fender support. When I finally figured out what a cotton reel is (a very small muffler hanger), I am still left with the question of where the cotton reels go in relation to the fender brace. Someone mentioned the parts book which I don’t have. Is there a parts diagram which might explain that and could you send it to me? By the way, all of your comments have been immensely helpful and time saving for me. Thank you all.