XK140 Gas Tank Back Splash

I am having back splash when refueling unless I fill extremely slow. I am unwilling to pay $1,800+ for a copy of Jag XK140 Explored and would greatly appreciate it if someone with a copy of the book could post a copy of Plate 5-e2.
Thank you,
Alan

I think that violates the forum rules.

What exactly are you looking for?

I believe gas expansion or consumption in the XK 140 tank is pressure relieved through the vent in the gas cap, but there does not seem to be a vent when refueling, and I’m getting gas back splash at the pump unless I fill at an extremely slow rate.
I didn’t see any restrictions to posting info from books or manuals. Would that be a copyright issue?
Alan

Copyright issue, yes. All of Viart’s illustrations have a tiny copyright mark next to them and he sometimes posts on here as well – but under what name I forgot. We can still try and walk you through it though.

I have two '120s so, if the same setup, then it should be just a matter of chasing whatever blockage is in the vent tube on the top of the tank?

if i remember correctly you can run a piece of wire or speedo cable core through the vent pipe

I don’t belief the 120 & 140 have the same set up. I only have one hole in the left rear of the fill box to drain rain seepage and gas spill from the box. I have seen, on this forum, that the 120’s have an additional hole in the right front corner of the box which served as a vent. My 140 is very original, but I realized that’s not absolute. Other than the venting through the gas cap, I do not see any direct tank venting in the parts diagrams. Would be grateful to hear from other 140 owners with info or photos.
Alan

My tank had a sort of internal vent. There was a pipe high up inside the tank that came up the filler pipe and presumably vented through the cap . I think the pipe was mainly to let the air out of the top of the tank when refueling . There was no other vent .

Alan,

Coincidentally, I just had the same issue happen with my XK140OTS. It turned out that somehow the hose connecting the filler and the tank had bent in the middle enough to reduce the flow to the point that it would not permit any kind of “normal” filling. If I tried to do a normal fill it would just spit the gas back at me.
Here’s what it looked like:

Fortunately I have a trusted mechanic near by. His solution was to remove the tank enough to permit the hose to be removed and reinstalled without any bend in it. Works fine now and hopefully the issue will not reoccur. No idea how it got that bend in it…but he did allude to how it was not properly installed originally. I had done a number of tank fills without incident until this happened.

Hope this helps!
Chet

Chet,
I did have that area exposed and the hose wasn’t collapsed, but I did find a reference to the issue and there is no vent pipe inside the filler tube on mine. This article didn’t come up on my initial searches.
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/fuel_tank_breather.html

The vent tube comes just short of the top of the tank and the inlet for the filler hose. It can not be seen looking from the gas cap. You would either have to remove the filler hose or drop an endoscope down it to confirm if yours is still in place.

You can see the vent on this video when tried (unsuccessfully) to make a tank . The vent tube I think is just to evacuate the air pocket at the top of the tank when filling. I have fitted a 150 tank which has a proper external vent .

Chet, is that proper fuel hose? In the photo it looks more like a thin wall tube, even silicone… Most of the fuel filler hoses I have used have been almost rigid and often with a fabric reinforcement. It’s usually very difficult to bend, let alone kink like that. That said, it’s more than likely that softer hose is all they sell these days…

1 Like

Thanks for all the information, I now know what to look for and how it should be set up. Incidentally I contacted Porter Press a while back and there is some consideration of reprinting “Jaguar XK140 Explored”. There were many other similar requests and I added my name to a reprint list. Why is it that the XK120 &150 Explored can be purchased for a somewhat reasonable cost and the XK 140 version is demanding an incredible price?
ALan

Hi Roger,
I honestly have no idea if that’s the proper hose or not - the install was done by the PO - however it is likely he used what was locally available rather than explore a more rigid alternative. Right now it’s working fine so I’m not that concerned. However if it does happen again I will explore your suggestion of researching if a more rigid hose is available.
Chet

I have the same problem on my MGA. The pipe is only 12" long and it’s a straight shot. With a flashlight you can see the bottom and second-guess the gauge. It will only accept fuel at a certain rate (quite slow) before tripping the nozzle to off. It’s totally baffling.

There is a small air vent… perhaps too small.