Xk140 ignition coil resistance

On a stock ignition system on a1956 XK140 (which I am trying to start), the coil resistance is 3.7 ohms and 4.6K Ohms. Is that good? (there is no spark with 12 volts on the primary).

Because the distributor looks like a nightmare to remove, I am planning on measuring contact resistance through the coil wire from the dissy initially (I expect infinite!) so I will probably have to remove it. Is it best to go through the front wheel well to get to it? Any suggestions?

I

for the moment you can forget the coil and just use your multimeter set to low resistance and using the lead to the distributor from the coil (the LT connection) test to see if open or short to ground. If it short to ground manually open the pints with a non metallic/plastic screwdriver and check if the meter now shows open circuit.
Alternatively you can place a test lamp in series with the connection to the distributor then check with the ignition on. if the lamp lights then pints are closed. spin the engine and you should see the light flicker on/off.
once you establish the points are working move to the next step. your coil primary resistance is fine btw.

Excellent ideas Phil-thanks Mike

1 Like