XK140 OTS grab handle position

I’ve had to replace my OTS dashboard and now I’ve come to refitting the guages, switches, etc. Can someone please tell me the position and angle that the passenger side grab handle was located at the Jaguar Factory in 1956, and right hand drive UK car? I’ve seen restored cars with this handle at various positions and from perfectly horizontal to 45 degrees. Also was the Jabbeke plaque under the handle or below (I’m sure this should be horizontal to the dashboard). Thanks

As I recall, only the XK120 OTS used the Jabbeke “replica” plate, and then only on 8:1 export cars, but I may be wrong on this?

I understood the XK120 had a 120mph plate and the XK140 a similar plate (which I have) but recording 141.51mph on it.

I know the XK120 used all three plates, just not sure about the XK140. The first 120 plate (1949-50) said “exact replica” which was hardly correct, as the Jabbeke run was done by an alloy car, actually the second alloy car built. Thereafter it just said “replica”. However, I’m thinking that to say an XK140 was a replica of the XK120 which posted a time of 141.51mph in 1953 was even further from the truth…

David,
See photos below of original RHD OTS grab-handle. This one is not a SE with C-type head, so a ‘standard’ OTS, and thus no Jabbeke Plate…, but a July 1955 dom.

And another, this one Jan 1956 dom…

And another - Feb 1955 dom…

And another - March 1955 dom…

All four are factory RHD original cars, are restored, but apart from rechroming handle, its position is same in all four and factory original…

I have only seen the one car (factory RHD OTS - a Feb 1955 car) with Handle mounted on an angle, but this was an extensively raced, crashed and bashed car, and poorly rebuilt/restored - maybe handle was deliberately repositioned for some navigator preference, or maybe just restored incorrectly - whatever, I seriously doubt its factory original… and its an MC, but now has no Jabekke plate either…

The alloy dash panels that are leather covered have holes on left and right hand side for grab handle.
The back of handle has tabs back to bulkhead to strengthen the handle

Thanks for the information and photos. A link sent to me for a topic on the Jabbeke plates on this forum has also helped:

That reproduction dash plaque - XK - Jag-lovers Forums

reproduction plaque

XK120 plate

XK140 plate

But not an XK140 dash centre? It doesn’t have the curved sides.I have no axe to grind, just curious - how can an XK140 be a replica of an XK120?? Can anyone show me a period picture of a new XK140 OTS dash with the Jabbeke plate?

Oops I posted a late 120 dash, but here is a XK140 dash with the Jakkabe plate according to the excellent and informative Philip Porter book “Original Jaguar XK” pages 64, 66 and 67.

Yes, I’ve seen that one too, David. However, it’s not a picture taken when the car was new, so the plate could easily have been added by an owner at some time…
I’m quite glad my 120 originally had a 7:1 engine, so I won’t be forever having to reassure onlookers that it’s not a replica of some sort!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this plate was on my car originally, but it was with the car when I started the restoration so I was intending to put it back on the dashboard (but I’m not drilling any holes for it until I get a difinitive answer by those more knowledgeable than me on the Forum!!!)

David, the best information is there were 17 countries, where Jaguars were distributed, that received the Replica Plates if an XK120 or 140 roadster was equipped with an 8:1 compression engine. The thread below has a list of the 17 countries and the size and type of fastener originally used.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a picture (at least, not a clear one) of an XK140 OTS dash from when the cars were new. I have a pretty extensive library of Jaguar books, literature, and magazine articles collected over many, many years since the early 1970s. Most of the road tests concentrated on the fhc, not the OTS, probably because the OTS seemed to most people just a continuation of the XK120. Road & Track did a test of the 140 OTS but there was no picture of the dash. I suppose maybe one of the more obscure US magazines may have shown it…? Does the 140 owner’s handbook show the dash, perhaps?

I was just looking at my XK120 owner’s handbook, and hadn’t really clocked before that it shows one of the very first cars with the straight windscreen sides. But, has anyone ever noticed that the steering wheel, although similar to the regular 120 wheel, is very slightly dished??

Thanks Mike for the link - very helpful and it also includes a photo of the grab handle position and locating holes for fixing on the aluminium panel. For the moment I’m going to leave the Jakebbe plate off my dash.