XK140 steering tie rod adjustment

Some time ago I bought a reconditioned rack for my 140. Now I’m at the alignment stage, I’ve noticed that on one side there is movement in the inner ball joint (the one hidden under the rubber gaiter). This allows the wheel rim to clonk in and out about 0.25". The rack itself appears to be OK, but with the gaiter pulled back it is obvious that the movement is in the ball joint. It seems a lot, so I’m wondering how it should be adjusted. The ball joint is mounted against a spring, and it is compression of this spring that is allowing the movement. I’ve looked in the manual and can’t see a clear description of how this should be set up. Why is there a spring in there - surely the balljoint would just be shimmed to the required tightness? Is this movement normal, or do I need to work on the ball joint and shims? Can’t see my MOT inspector being too impressed…

Hi Roger…i stripped my 150 rack but couldnt get the tie rod ends to operate smoothly…no matter how i tried…eventually sent them to Killey Clinton UK…the balls and large nut were slightly out of round…they sorted it also fit nylon cups etc…Steve Tie rod xk150 help please

Hi Steve, yes, I found a thread where you discussed the difficulty. This doesn’t look like a simple problem to sort, with others having problems dismantling etc.
I’ll give Kiley Clinton a shout in the morning - thanks for the tip! Their website looks very promising. I wonder how much their new racks are?? Does the expenditure ever stop?

Hi Rodger,

There have been a couple of discussions about this in the past - take a look at this one: XK145/150 steering rack info - #20 by clivejer.

Seem to recall the shop manual diagrams are incorrect. I got a replacement from Guy Broad many years ago.

Regards,
Clive.

Hi Roger…Chat to the guys at Killey Clinton…they can machine the balls round again if not too worn…or possible supply good old stock parts…so dont just jump for a new rack…Steve

Plus 1 for Kiley Clinton. They sorted my 140 “3 penny bit steering issue” ie the feeling of clunking from one flat to another.
Anyone remember the 3d coin? Only the Brits on here I guess.

Off piste a bit they also rescued my 1965 Fiat 500 RHD steering box which saved the day as they are all but unavailable. Friendly folk also.

Steve, good tip, thanks. Just had a long chat with Roger at KC who was really helpful and described the process. Basically they fit new rack and pinion, bushes, tie rods and ball joints with cups etc. for a third of the price of the new option. I’m taking it up to them tomorrow. What a nice bloke!

1 Like