XK140ots Little Brackets

Hello All

I have been sorting thru. all the salvaged little parts from various boxes. Incidently I an slowly realising that the original tiny parts are also hugely important to pursue the rebuild correctly.

I found these two chaps

They have that dull red wash colour or red primer overspray on some surfaces. The bolt is unusually stepped and there are two steel and one rubber washer all different sizes.

I think they could be the BD1092B item shown on Plate AG as 33. but the quantities do not tally in the parts list.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I would be grateful for a steer on this
Any thoughts.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Geoffrey

Shoulder screws are normally used either for a swiveling part such as a linkage, or a part that needs to be precisely located, such as the lower suspension shafts on the chassis frame. It seems odd to use them on a shield.

NS.125/5D is a 1/4"-28 threads per inch ANF x 5/8" long hex head screw.
NN.125/L is a 1/4-28 ANF hex nut.
NN.119/L is a #10-32 ANF hex nut
C.724 is an internal star washer for a 1/4" screw
C.723/A is an internal star washer for a 2BA or #10 screw
FW.104/T is a steel flat washer for 1/4" screw
AW.102/T is a steel flat washer for 2BA or #10 screw

Thanks Rob
Great comprehensive analysis of those listed items.

Here is a better set of photos and to give some scale. The Bolt is tiny so I do not know what kind of job it could do on the suspension assembly. Biggest washer is rubber. The set may not be photographed in correct order. Dull red finish has been discussed in other posts. One bracket is bent one in photo is straight.

See what you think. I am sure it came from front of car - Battery box, rad , dizzy shield. Took it off in 1995 - did not label it properly!!

Thanks Geoff

Sorry Geoffrey, I dont check this site on a daily basis so missed this thread until now… But your parts that you are seeking to identify are the brackets and fittings that mount the front PLINTH PANELS behind the front Bumper Bar…
The angle brackets are BD.9292 and you need six of these.
The shouldered Bolts are BD.9301, again six needed, the thread is No.10 ANF.
The larger Steel Washers are BD.541/13 and are a special size to fit under head of shouldered bolt - again six required
The smaller Steel Washers are BD.4983, and again a special size size.
The Nuts are of course standard NN.125/L (No.10 ANF)
The Rubber Washers are BD.4984.

If you have XK140 EXPLORED book I fully detailed all this Plinth and Plinth mounting arrangement, with VIart providing his excellent supporting line diagrams based on photos I provided him. See following photo, shows two of these BD.9282 Brackets as they mount on the bumper it self. The shouldered both/washers are all for the bracket to plinth mounting…

1 Like

the right angle brackets for front stone guards on an XK150 are different to this

Roger having identified the area, all I had to do was lie on my back on a cold concrete floor and my mind was immediately transported back to the last time I saw one of these brackets… :grinning:

Thanks Roger and David.
I am familiar with the plinth on the Mark V front bumper, and it is attached with ordinary studs and nuts.
I’m curious to know, what is the reason they used expensive shoulder bolts for the 140 plinth?

Its an design improvement over the Mark V arrangement, and as you say Jaguar clearly thought it was warranted given the added complexity/expense.
But the XK140 arrangement has the six brackets (3 per plinth) directly attached to the Bumper Bar. Both Plinths are directly attached to the front mudguard/panels.
This shouldered bolt, and rubber washer give some vibration/movement damping between the bracket to the plinth joint, thus between the bumpers that are supported by separate mounting bars to the chassis , and the plinths mounted to the body… Not an issue with XK120 of course, contemporary with Mark V

Good to see David - this ‘not visible’ detail is often overlooked in restorations - much easier to just use a standard bolt and nut, and if you are lucky maybe a steel washer…

Hi Rob, as was once explained to me regarding the 150 the shoulder bolts allow for a nudge on the bumper bar to slide rather than be solid and maybe crumple the plinth. Just a thought.
John

Hi All
Rob, Roger, Terry, David, John
Firstly a massive thanks for all the contributions and I am grateful to have resolved my question.
I just need to find them all but I will make faithfull replicas if I do not found or check accuracy of any supplier offering.
So glad to be doing this resto in the internet age and this Forum is a brilliant resource.
regards Geoffrey