Xk150 engine removal

Hi everyone,
My name.is Mark and I run a restoration shop in northern California. Mostly do muscle cars and Porsches but have taken on a xk150 project belonging to my father in law. Currently have the body off and out to sandblasting. I am about to remove the engine and had a question. I was thinking of making a steel plate to put in the head bolts and lift that way. Is that the way you guys have done so? Open to any suggestions. Below is the engine currently. It’s sitting in the frame so should be fairly easy. If the head bolts aren’t sufficient was thinking of just wrapping a strap around it and pulling it out and into the engine stand. Thanks for any help!

Welcome Mark.
Later engines had lifting eyes or cross bars that spanned across the valley on 2 studs, but they had slightly longer studs into the block. You could get some from Jaguar Heaven in Stockton.

Lifting straps would be fine, or a steel plate or two if you made them the same thickness as the D washers currently on there or just a little thicker. Some of the parts vendors sell them. Better make sure your head nuts engage at least 4 or 5 threads so they don’t pull off. Most engineering sources recommend a full bolt diameter of engagement, which would be 6 threads for full strength, but if you lift slowly without jerking you should be ok.

1 Like

These brackets from a harbor freight leveler work just fine with the stock head studs and dome nuts.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much have a 20% off harbor freight coupon too appreciate the help. Beautiful engine my friend!

2 Likes

Thank you Rob! Excited to get this thing out and rebuilt appreciate the help, I’m sure this won’t be my last question!

Just a thought - if you will be stripping the engine, I would advise trying to remove the head before engine removal. Originally the steel head studs passed through the aluminium head castings without any corrosion prevention, and there are many tales of problems with head removal. Having the weight of the frame and running gear attached can make this job a lot easier.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, yes was going to take the head off so now may be a good time to do so thanks!

Here’s a photo of my engine a couple of weeks ago, just after refitting. I used a couple of Jag engine brackets, which I think were XJ6, bought used. They fit longitudinally on the front and rear two head bolts in place of the D washers. I torque them to head torque to be safe.

1 Like

Thanks for the help all got the engine out with the leveler no problem and into the engine stand with new hardware appreciate the help!

2 Likes