XK150 ignition timing

On cars with automatic transmission where is the timing mark?
The workshop manual I have only show a manual transmission with timing mark on flywheel. I don’t think this works for the auto since the ring gear mounts to the torque converter and there is no flywheel.There is a pointer mounted to the front of the oil pan, but no mark on the dampener although my handbook shows there should be?

Nick you can backdoor the timing by bringing the 1 cyl to top dead center and making a mark on the damper. On some dampers the mark is not readily evident but is there. A timing light will help set the advance.

Thanks Steve, I’ll give the damper a good clean and find some white paint - 6 degrees BTDC?

Nick, My 140 is a bit more advanced than 6 degrees but I set it by ear. Once running you will be able to find the sweet spot at idle. My engine was built to racing specs with a lightened flywheel etc.

Hello.
I have a 1958 XK150 FHC with an automatic. Yes there is a timing mark on the harmonic damper, edge or outside diameter of the damper. There is NOT a mark on the face of the damper. I believe the mark is in alignment with the keyway.

I will take a pic of mine and post.

Regards
Tim

Thanks Tim, How do find the DG 250 auto box?..Set up properly it’s rather nice!

Hello.
I have about 5 miles on the car since I figured out how to adjust the linkage. Since then, the floors announced they needed to be replaced among other items, in addition winter hit here in WI. So I really don’t have an opinion on the transmission yet. I also disconnected the HOLD solenoid as I thought that might be the cause of the transmission not shifting. It wasn’t the problem.

I posted a pic of the damper. Look close at the “0” and you can see a notch on the outside of the damper. I have CAD so I drew the scale and lacquered the scale to the damper. I took the photo while the engine was running. My timing set to 10 degrees BTDC.

That’s brilliant Tim!..I don’t suppose you could send me a file so I can print my own?

You don’t suppose…Well of course I could. Now the question is will I; )

See the attached. The bottom drawing is an option to have the vernier on the circumference of the balancer or other pully of the same diameter.

It won’t work for our application as the dynamic balancer is only about .25 thick which, for me, wasn’t thick enough to apply the paper vernier to it and still see the numbers. (Also thought I could have both the face and circumference vernier by folding the bottom picture 90 degrees, but this didn’t work like I wanted it to).

I used spray on varnish.
Sprayed the balancer only in the area of the where the vernier was going to be applied, applied the paper vernier, let it sit for 30 minutes, spray varnish on top of the paper vernier. Let dry 24 hours or more.

Enjoy

Tim
Jaguar Balancer Timing Vernier.pdf (82.2 KB)

1 Like

Tim, Thanks very much!..You are an absolutely top chap!