XK150S OTS boot lid springs?

Built in NOV 1958, the boot lid is really heavy to raise. It has the prop rod to hold it up. Can anyone tell me about the spring-loaded hinges this car should have according to Porter?

Hi Ken,

The springs are hidden from sight. If you have the prop rod as opposed to the stay, the springs only assist the boot opening and will only supprt the lid’s weight for a few inches of opening.

Do you feel any opening force at all when the lid is almost closed?

Regards,
Clive.

My car is a Nov 58 build as well (831832). The lid is VERY heavy to open as there are no springs on the hinges. I’m not 100% certain, but do not think my car was modified in that regard.

Yes, the lids are VERY heavy. Porter’s book Original Jaguar XK, 1068, on page 81 says the OTS got spring loaded hinges to assist in lifting the lid. He goes on to say that In April 1959 the spring-loaded hinges were improved. I just bought my car (831750) and it won’t be delivered until early May, so I can’t confirm, but maybe yours and mine have broken or missing springs?

Hi Clive,

Thanks for responding. I have felt no opening force at all when opening the lid. I just bought the car. It’ll be delivered in early May and I’ll look for springs under the boot lid trim panel. And yes, it has the prop rod.

Ken

I climbed in back to take a look and I’ll be darned, there are springs on the hinges !!
I’ve seen clocks with bigger main springs. They don’t seem to provide an once of lift. I’ll take a closer look and see if somehow they’ve become detached or broken.

Hi Ken,

The springs are hidden behind a trim panel in the interior of the car. If you look at the illustrations in the SPC at the end of the Body Panels sections you will see the hinge/spring assemblies.

The chassis numbers for the prop with spring assist are as follows (preceding use the stay, and subsequent use stronger springs only) :

Open: 820001 → 820037, 830457 → 832073
FHC: 824677 → 824862, 835893 → 836183
DHC: 827240 → 827348, 837846 → 838237

Regards,
Clive.

Thanks. T830457 → 832073 should have springs. That’s what I thought. My OTS T 831750 I should have springs. I’ll verify when the car is delivered in May.

Some references say something about winding the springs tighter – another wrap of the springs. Another said the springs just give a slight assist as you open; It isn’t designed to hold or raise the lid. I can’t feel any help at all from any springs. Maybe they’re weak or broken. I’ll find out when the car is delivered in early May.

Hi Ken,

I measured the distance that the lid opens under spring power. It was a gap of about 9" from bottom edge of the boot to the boot floor.

Regards,
Clive.

Thanks for that. My boot lid has absolutely no assist when opening when the car is delivered in early May, I’ll investigate further

That 9" of assist would be wonderful!

Ken

There are 3 very distinct version of boot lid arrangement
Early cars had a telescopic spring loaded strut on LH side similar to what was in the MKVII
it took up a lot of boot space
then factory introduced spring assisted boot lid hinges so strong that it is said one or more person received broken jaws as boot lid came up and was held fully open. These were so stong that effectively when boot lid shut hinges is exerting huge pressure on underside of lid and I have seen curved boot lids/proud of bodywork say down 200mm from top of boot lid.
then factory reduced spring strength so boot lid only came up say 8-9 inches you lifted it the rest of the way and then put XK120 140 style boot strut (RH side) to hold open.
All the exact change chassis numbers for the 3 versions should be in XK150 Explored that I helped produce.
terry

Thank you for your reply and explanation. I’ll look for your book.

My car is T831750DN and I think it should have the spring loaded hinges. It is very heavy to lift, as though the springs are broken or missing. I just bought the car and when it’s,s delivered in early May, I’ll be able to figure it out.

Ken