[xk8] Is there a really good Jaguar shop around Riverside, CA?

1997 XK8 with a factory rebuilt exchange engine.
300 miles on the new engine.

Can’t get it smogged because of all the lights on.
Sent the abs module out for re-soldering.
It works a little better.
Sometimes the speedo dies/brake warning light on for a minute
at speed and then comes back on line without any change in
behavior.
It went to a shop and they claim that the heads need to come
off so that they can fix the cam timing issue they say it has
codes for.
That would void the warranty on the new engine so we told
them no, don’t touch it.

Tommorrow we will get it back and hopefully see what codes they
pulled.–
aerokurt
Redlands, California, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

Well, finally sold the forduar, so, no longer need to find anyone who I could send it to.

Thanks for all the fish!!

Doug Adams would be proud…:yum:

One thing you might consider when you get a lot of spurious engine codes showing up is you might have one or more bad grounds. If the car had timing issues it would noticeably affect the drivability, so I think the shop was blowing smoke at you.

I chased my tail with my X Type missing and showing lots of improbable codes until my mechanic found a poor ground. Once that was cleaned up, the troubles went away.

Grahame,

I’ve since learned that you are quite correct. Odd that a factory rebuild would need the heads off, eh?
Sent out the abs module for re-grounding. Much better after that.
Car now has a happy home away from here.
Now back to learning more about this XJS here.

Cheers, Kurt
Returning to Toronto for the summer of '018

Kurt,

This is a problem with a shop that doesn’t know what they are doing but are willing to throw your money and parts at it until something works.

Finding a good Doctor and a good mechanic that you can trust are a challenge. Years ago, my doctor moved away and my mechanic retired at the same time. I don’t know which was harder or more stressful replacing.