Xk8 stuck in park

thanks
my car year is 1996

It will be Fuse 7 on a '96 car. Check to see that you have 12 volts on both sides of the this fuse.

The layout of the fusebox is printed on the top of the fusebox in the boot. On my car, the fuses are the mirror image of the printed layout. Fuse 7 is the third slot up from the bottom. The bottom slot has no fuse in it.

hello
i am no electrician.so nothing to check if voltage is right.
but found the fuse size 20.which looked ok but changed it anyway still no joy.

Are you sure you got the right fuse? It should be 15A (I think that’s blue) not 20A. It’s three slots up from the bottom. The bottom slot is empty, then two fuses. The one in question is the second of these.

I recommend you get someone to check that there is a supply on both sides of the fuse. If there is, there is a good chance you’ll find that there is no actuating voltage at the interlock solenoid. If that turns out to be true the next check is on pin 104 (brown wire with yellow tracer) of the Body Processor Module.

This is quite difficult to do but can be done with care. The BPM is located behind the glovebox. If the voltage there is absent your problem is a broken wire in the harness between the Fusebox and the BPM.

I appreciate you are not an electrician but you seem to have an electrical fault so if you want it fixed you need to find someone who can make these checks for you.

hello
i am sure i have the right fuse the one you said N0.7.not that they are numbered . in the boot on mine there is no blue fuses at all.
i put a light tester from negative battery to top of the said fuse and both sides light up.can i put a photo of it on this site(i think not).or have you got whats app,then i could send any amount for free.or does the fact that this fuse seems to be ok is it the solenoid.??
thanks for your patience
richard

Just to be sure we’re on the same page, F7 is arrowed in the picture.

!

this is my fuse box in the boot,hope they are clear enough.

Richard,

You are looking in the wrong Fusebox. The fuse in question is in the Driver’s Side Fusebox. Oh, sorry, it’s just occurred to me you might not know where that is.

Whichever side your steering wheel is on, open the door and from the outside on the A post you will see a removable cover. It just pulls off and the fusebox is inside. There is one on the passenger’s side too.

hello.
will look …this is what confused me"The layout of the fusebox is printed on the top of the fusebox in the boot. On my car, the fuses are the mirror image of the printed layout. Fuse 7 is the third slot up from the bottom. The bottom slot has no fuse in it."

Yes, it is confusing but once you see it, it makes sense. I should have thought of including a photo earlier.

HELLO
now we are on right page.nice.
took fuse out all good not blown.was a blue one 15a
still put new one in.then tried test light onto top of fuse .touched both sides on top of fuse and light came on.

OK, it would have been nice quick fix. If you can get a cheap solenoid it might be worth a try but things point to a lack of the B+ supply for the solenoids at the BPM as neither of the solenoids operates as they should. According to the wiring diagram the wire from the fusebox goes direct to the BPM. No splices or junction boxes. Could also be a fault in the BPM itself.

If you want to go any further I suppose you need access to the interlock solenoid. I’ve never had to take mine apart so can’t help with first hand experience there. If you decide to investigate the BPM I have had to do that so I can explain what you need to do. Keep us posted.

BRILLIANT.HAVE ORDERED SOLENOID.
will keep you posted.
thanks for all your time.
regards
richard

hello
solenoid trouble being looked at now.
found rust as i knew i had some when i bought it.
pic shows where it is.

can i get pre made pieces that can be welded in??
i have this on both sides.l
regards
richard

hello anyone any ideas.
not sure site is working.usually quick replys
help
richard

Most repairers would cut out the rust and make up a repair section from sheet for the area in your picture. You can get wing repair panels and floor panels easily and maybe one or two other bits but perhaps an internet search for XK8 repair panels would give you some leads. In the UK I have bought parts from DCR Autoparts.

thanks a lot.will look up.do you know what that section is called so makes it easier to look up.
thanks again
richard

In my terminology it’s the lower wing valence. Others may have a different name for it particularly in the US.

HELLO
me again,i went to a car show today,lots there.first time i have seen 5 xk8/xkrs.
i went to jaguar owners club stand.asked the question why does my xk8 go BEEP BEEP BEEP.for about 20 secs when i take the key out then stop.i was told it is to do with the brake switch.(micro??)i asked when i go on ebay what do i type in…he told me some hours later got home and i forgot.he seemed very sure what it would be this ,and said very difficult job,you have to stand on your head to fit a new one.as i told him i have already fitted a solenoid.but i did forget to say my brake lights work…if that is relevant.
thanks
richard