XKE S 2 Headlight Trim Instal

I was not clear from some posts to the forum, exactly how to install the pop rivets that hold the chrome trim. I did some trials with pop rivets on a piece of sheet metal.These are the sizes of the washers

The rubber seal was put in place ,an then the chrome piece was fitted by slideing on .It was also able to be firred by pushing down on the chrome strip with my thumb

Washer #2 is the correct one to use with the clip.

Hi Norm, Well if you leave out the number 1 washer , then there is insufficient room for the chrome to seat on top of the rubber strip. The diameter of #2 does fit between the downside lips of the chrome , but without the larger washer (#1 ) the chrome is too low on the rubber strip, and there is not enough room for it to fully sear.

Well John, the only picture of this is in the S3 V12 Parts Book, and it shows only one washer.
Maybe the after market trims have more turnover and you mat need to use 2 of the No. 2 washers.

For what it’s worth, after reading of all the problems with the headlight trim install, I chose a different method.
I used large head #6 sheet metal screws that I turned in the lathe to simulate a rivet head. I then used small washers stacked under the head to get the correct height. The washers I used were very thin so 6 or 7 were required.

1 Like

You LUCKY DOG…you have a lathe…

If you don’t have a lathe you might be able to shape the heads with a drill and file or a drill and sander. I feel very lucky to have a hobby machine shop in my basement. I tell my wife it keeps me out of the bars at night…

This simple drawing might help see how the parts fit together .

John, if I am reading your drawing correctly, it seems you have the washer over the rubber, appearing that the washers and the rivet are also riveting the rubber to the car. That is not how I understand it. At least on my 1.25, the rivets are all in place first, then the rubber has a large enough hole that it fits over the entire assemble.
Tom

Tom, Thanks for pointing this out…you are absolutely correct . For a while I did wonder about the rubber gasket, and then I found the old ones that my PO had taken off… complete with “holes”. So clearly the oe car has the base washer pop rivet "assembly resting on the metal base. I have never seen a parts manual which shows this reature.The parts catalogue for the XKE S3 , which has the same head lamp set up as the S 2, shows the rivet and one washer!! Not exactly helpful I fear !!

My assumption is mine has one washer, but I cannot be sure. Not sure this photo is enough detail, but it is all I have.

IMG_5210 (2)

Tom

I would recommend buying extra rivets and washers. I found that there was no perfect solution or number of washers that was consistent, I am sure that time and work on these cars makes no two the same.
I had to do a lot of trial and error. drilled out several new rivets to add or subtract washers.
the rivet is a specialized part, but still not expensive.

same for the beading. buy twice as much. I wasnt happy with my fist hole punch job, I tried to lay the original beading over the new as a pattern, but didnt like the result

Bob

Based on the precision of your drawings (see above) and the crispness of your printing, your are / were schooled as an architect, engineer, and/or draftsman.

Curious Craig

too funny, I wanted to be all of the above… took a little of each along the way. !!
always loved drafting.

Bob F

[quote=“Bfastr, post:12, topic:387298”]
I found that there was no perfect solution or number of washers that was consistent, I am sure that time and work on these cars makes no two the same.
I had to do a lot of trial and error. drilled out several new rivets to add or subtract washers.
the rivet is a specialized part, but still not expensive.
[/quote] Hi Bob, That’s nice to know!!?? Anyway, I have attempted to get 1 chrome piece to fit . At least it seems that the molding can be PRESS fitted by hand.3 out of four! More later.