ZZ502 BBC Jaguar XJS 1989 Oil Change

Hello,

I purchased a 1989 Jaguar XJS with a zz502 crate engine.

I was changing the oil and completely took off the oil filter, but unfortunately I was not able to remove the oil filter due to the lack of clearance between the oil pan and exhaust pipe. Once again the oil filter is OFF but I can’t get it out.

A possible solution is to remove the headers/exhaust OR remove the bolts from the engine mounts and jack up the engine OR remove the oil pan but this all seems like a lot of effort just for an oil change. I definitely don’t want to have to do this everytime!

Has anyone ran into similar issue with their lumps?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

There are remote filter kits to relocate the oil filtrer somewhere more convinient.
You can’t be removing the exhaust or the oil pan everytime…

Welcome back!!!1

1. that big block chevvy takes up lot of room in a restricted engine bay.

2. jacking up the engine will not create more clearance. teh down pipe will go up with it.

3./some opne managed to get the filter out and a new one in> or did they. first installation. filter then the down pipe.

1. One way might be t drop the two dwn pies just enmough to free the fiter.

2. As I recall tere may be two filter options. One shrtie, and the other a longer one Opt for the shortie.

3. to get this one out, break out the recip sw and chop it out.

4. and as Aristides suggesats, a remte filter. Adapters are available. Braided ines serve well and look great

not many people put a 502 BBC in a jag. remote oil filter is the way to go. do you have room to mount somewhere? i have a Summit brand oil filter relocation kit new on the shelf i’d sell for less than new. i bought it and decided not to use it.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions! I am thinking about going with a cartridge style filter in the future as the cartridge are more nimble and flexible to maneuver then a traditional spin filter.