10th Anniversary Oil Leak!

Those who are interested, please PM me: I will happily get assistance from those who have done such a great job, doing collation and listing participants.

To be more clear, 2021 will be the 10th anniversary of the original Oil Leak, not the 10th one.
I have a route, already “pre-run,” all in Colorado. It!s over three days, takes in some truly spectacular roads and scenery, and is paced perfectly for a bunch of old Brit iron!

We could all meet at any number of points, the best and most central being north(ish) Denver metro.

Dates? 20characters.

Nothing set on stone, yet: Being Colorado, and in the hills, the safest tour time (in terms of little chance of snow/rain) is late August/early September.

Fall colors don’t usually come in till mid-to late-September, but there can be some cool
nights/mornings.

I am also going to ask Hagerty if we can use their Golden office as a meet-up-jump-off point.

We usually bring dates and we are all characters.

4 Likes

I dislike dates, I prefer the Indulgent Trail Mix from Walmart.

You’ve possibly made the common mistake of eating them at room temperature (or even worse, chilled).

You need to have a hot date before you reject them altogether.

4 Likes

Well, so much for the G rating, family fun nature of JL.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::laughing::grimacing:

I am also interested in opening up the Leak to those who have not participated in prior Leaks: I may be wrong, but it seems some Leaks have gotten…a bit exclusive, except for prior participants.

What says youse?

Newcomers are always welcome. The coming one (V2VOL) includes 3 first-timers. Last year’s included 2 first-timers.

First opportunity to sign on goes to previous leakers in the order of the number of their priors. If the field fills there is a wait list. So far, everyone who has signed on the wait list has been offered a spot in the field. Some decline once the opportunity is offered (e.g. you in the case of this year’s) but no one has ever been turned away.

3 Likes

Good to know! I was not sure and had a few conflicting reports.

So, that’s cleared up!

Now–and pardon me for saying so–I’m feeling a bit, for lack of a better term, possessive of the 2021 Leak…Jerry Mouton always gave me credit for being the “Daddy of all Leaks!,” and though I was/am honored he did so, that’s not quite the case.

The late Mark Stephenson was a huge help, in figuring out a route, and not only in honor of the 10th anniversary of these shindigs, I’d like to have the MHOL (Mile High Oil Leak) be in their honor, as well.

As such, I’d like to propose we do it a bit more central to the west, and within/close to within Colorado’s borders, it being my home state. One idea I had: if folks were caravanning from the eat, I could meet them up on top of Mount Sunflower, Kansas’ high point, then go into Denver (about a 2-hour hike), to stage up for the first official day of Leaking…

I’m sure many here have favorite roads, and I just might have a few secret roads many have not seen before… :wink:

I’ll post the proposed route, here, in a few days. It was a route the local Lotus Club folks drove, to support RoundUp River Ranch (a Paul Newman thing) in 2017, and it had three days. I can–along with others, I’m sure!–add in a couple days, to plump it up. I surely love to add a day for all of us to get to the top of Pike’s Peak…how’d THAT be for a group shot?

The other virus in the room is, what will 2021 look like, wrt our 'new normal?" If a vaccine miraculously appears, the discussion becomes a bit easier.

So, discuss.

I may also have an empty right/left seat in the Rover, for those who want to experience the rip-roarin,’ neck-snapping acceleration of 124 4-banger horsies…:wink:

1 Like

I could be in, subject to the points on the calendar that are selected.

I’m fairly open: I’m good from late June to early September.

Wait! Kansas has a Mount? (calling Google)…

1 Like

Stuffed with cream cheese and an almond, then wrapped in bacon and in the oven is a whole new date experience.

1 Like

I really want to do a proper road trip in this country before moving to the UK.
If still in this country at the time of the Oil Leak Tour, I’m in.

1 Like

Oh, it’s not an overpass?:sunglasses:

It does.

I’ve summited it.

Scratched THAT off my peak-baggin’ list…:laughing:

1 Like

In Texas that’s called a fire ant mound.

1 Like

Pawly, if your flatulence has cleared up by 2021, I may be interested in the l/r seat.

Or, some fellow widowers and I were discussing a road trip across the USA. My suggestion was, we ship a London taxi to the U.S. and do the road trip in that. Perhaps we could incorporate the OilLeak into our road trip? As the taxi will be wheelchair accessible and disabled friendly, the plan is to donate it to a disabled children’s organisation or other charity for disabled persons at the end of our adventure.

The plan is to ship to Miami and start our trip from there. Have to check on the rules regarding bringing the cab over and, whether it would be permissible for it to stay there permanently.

Sorry, folks: if Da Breyer is going to bless us with his berth and ponytail, the seat just became full!!

There are two more in the back, which are surprisingly comfy!

May I suggest Roundup River Ranch? It is an AWESOME charity, and some of the kids need disabled-friendly vehicles.

I think your coming over to join us, with other old far–distinguished British citizens–is a SPLENDID idea!

Atm, nothing has been decided as to time and route: with permission from other past Leakers (what a great combination: old London taxi, Breyer, leaking…), we can start a PM chat, for possible Leakers.