1966 S1 2+2 rebuild....questions

Thank you Steve for the re-assurance. Much appreciated

I assume you know that Jaguar had the large swing arm bush with the holes front and back. Some folks do mount them 90 degrees for a stiffer response.

The arm needs to be compliant, or the suspension will be restrained. Thatā€™s why the holes are front and back.

Yes thanksā€¦I was advised to fit them across for better handling. I donā€™t know if itā€™s good or bad advice. It wonā€™t be a racer, but as long as itā€™s not uncomfortable, a firmer ride canā€™t be a mistakeā€¦can it?
PS I wondered who would be the first to notice and comment :slightly_smiling_face:

Picture the motion of your rear axle: it moves in an arc around a point near the center of the car. Picture the radius arm: it moves in an arc parallel to the center line. As the two parts go through their range of travel, they are moving apart because the arm pulls the axle forward when it wants to move up and down. The elastic bushing allows more compliant motion, and controls rear steering effects.

I am working through my loom install and coming stuck in a couple of places.

I had to buy a new dip switch and am unsure of the connections order.
Any help appreciated
Iā€™m not an electrician so sometimes it can be a puzzle.

1 Like

Hi,

I remember having changed a couple of those switches. you can measure the connections.
From the diagram you can see that U = blue wire brings the power to the switch. When it is in the ā€œonā€ or ā€œupā€ position, the UW = blue with white stripe wire lights the warning lamp in the speedo and UY = blue with yellow stripe brings power to fuse nr 1 which feeds the high beams (connector nr 2 on the bonnet loom, UW = blue wire with white stripe) and UG = blue with green stripe sends the power to fuse nr 2 and then to connector nr 3 on the bonnet loom, UR = blue wire with red stripe.

Cheers!

1 Like

When the switch is up, (high beam) the connection is made between the center and lower tab.

1 Like

Is this any help Philip. The blue and white wires (blue and yellow in your case, mine have faded) are joined together on a double spade connector.
A question for you Philip. I have a 17 amp purple wire with black plastic sleeve by the ignition wires (see photo) If you have the same wire in your harness, Iā€™d be curious as to what its connected to.

Cheers Phil.

![DSCN

2 Likes

I think itā€™s your horn connection. I will check

Just checked and I donā€™t have a lone purple with bullet connection in that center dash area (S1). Only purple is a double to the cigar lighter. Sorry.

Does it connect to the door switch? Or to the clock? Donā€™t have the wiring diagram handy

Purple by the steering column goes to the brown wire of the clock in the tach on a S1

Yepā€¦

Or possibly:

Thanks for your replies Philip Larry and Doug. I should have mentioned, my car is a very late
series 2.
My clock runs on a single battery also Iā€™ve located the purple plastic coated wire thatā€™s connected to the brown wire and turn signal switch.
The wire is next to the ignition switch wires. Just wondered if it might be from the key buzzer !!
Its a 17amp cotton covered wire.

Cheers Phil.

Check this out- from one of our own, Mike Frank of CoolCat:

I canā€™t establish where this brown cable connects. It is a fuse box connection one end and insulated at the other. I donā€™t have any spare terminals in the gauge/switch panel. Any help appreciated.

1 Like

Phillip,

I apologize if this has been covered before but do you have a good wiring diagram for your car? Hereā€™s one I think came from Coolcatā€™s website:XKE_SERIES_1_COLOR_WIRING_DIAGRAM_COOLCAT.pdf (215.4 KB)

Youā€™ll notice there is one brown (N) wire on fuse #8 and it goes to the source side of #3-#4. If I understand your question properly, I suspect thatā€™s the wire you are looking at.

I donā€™t see any brown wires going to a gauge and the only brown wire I see going to a switch is from #3 fuse to the double light switch on the panel. If that wire is in place and you have continuity between the two ends in your pictures Iā€™d say that is the fuse #8 to #3/#4 wire mentioned. Others here are better qualified to confirm.

Craig

Thank you Craig for investigating. I think you are right. I will double check the continuity.
What is foxing me is that one of the spades is insulated, and fuse box connections donā€™t have insulated sleeves on any other of the female spades. Could be a manufacturing error/oversight?

I have searched the archive with no luck on this oneā€¦
Can anyone please send a photo where the RHD speedo cable comes through the bulkhead to the speed?