1986 XJ6 starts normally but stops after a couple seconds

Hi frank personly I believe some cars are different XJ6 series 3 … some. they are voltage sensitive , I had serious issues with my car she’s 1984 … with many electrics …. I hope you get sorted I’m only sharing my experience & I hope to help other owners get sorted…. She’s Lucas original electric ignition… with built in the look ballast resistance…. I found a coil that works well with them cars 123 red 2,1 omhs 8,23 secondary resistance……

Good for you if it works but it aint pretty…

1 Like

The ignition system is not voltage sensitive, Davidb; as long as there is enough to crank the engine it will fire - if it cannot crank the ign system is immaterial…:slight_smile: Your problem was elsewhere - plenty of scope…:slight_smile:

Incidentally, the resistance in the coil wiring reflects the length and conductivity of the wires. The primary’s wires are ‘short’ and ‘thick’ - the secondary’s are ‘long’ and ‘thin’. How the manufacturers mixes the two is unknown - so, apart from verifying continuity, the resistance measurements are sort of immaterial…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I’m going from my own experience frank each to there opinions but whatever my car she can’t function with any coil …. I’m happy how is going now …. That’s it no more said … this car of mine is very sensitive towards voltage since ownership 2016 , 30 k thousand miles covered …. With a modified fuse box as well ….