5 speed upgrade

I’m looking at upgrading to a 5 speed transmission from The Driven Man company.
Has anyone used them and what do you think about them.

Thanks
Keith

@angelw will have a LOT to say on the matter…

A good place to start…

And search the archives.

Lots of trouble, poor quality and very poor service.

2 Likes

To my knowledge the Broadsport 5 speed is basically the only way to go these days. I have one in my ‘62 - installed in 2019 and around 15000 miles to date with zero issues.

The first thing to understand is that not all Driven Man conversions are equal. If you search the archives you’ll find reports that the Series 3 conversions have not been smooth. At least one member has also reported catastrophic failure of the main shaft in a SWB (Series 1 or 2) car. I have a Driven Man gearbox in my 1963 OTS that was installed before I acquired it. I’ve not had any issues with it, and like the more relaxed revs on the freeway. That said, I’ve not done huge mileages with it. The Broadsport 5-speed is apparently good, but is a tight fit and may require cutting into the cross member which shouldn’t be done lightly. Again there are more discussions in the archives.

1 Like

I suspect that the S3 kit sourced from TDM by my client not long ago, is the same that is being currently offered, for when a complaint was made, the reply was that there were no issues and the parts were correct. If so, then there is no chance of installing it without modifying the transmission top, cover where the gear lever passes through it, the centre console and all interior upholstery components associated with it. Then the gearbox mounting plate they supplied has to be modified and the diameter of the First Motion Shaft retainer plate, that also acts as the alignment spigot for the gearbox to the bell housing had to be machined down by circa 1/4" to fit.

All systems supplied by TDM that has the 10 square spline on the First Motion Shaft to suit the standard Jaguar clutch plate spine, will have a First Motion Shaft cobbled up out of two parts welded together.

The issue with the profound interference with the Transmission Tunnel is due to TDM’s so claimed patented rear extension protruding well rear of the face of the Companion Flange; see the first picture below. The second picture shows the rear extension made from billet aluminum by Mal Woods in Australia, where the rear face of the gear lever housing is actually in line with the front face of the Companion Flange.

It would be fortunate if in fact TDM were able to get a patent on their rear extension, for it may dissuade others from copying it.

5 speed from TDM in my 1969 2+2. The fit was excellent between the transmission and the engine and within the frame. I had issues with the drive shaft the TDM supplied. It had casting flash that interfered with the tail shaft in Fifth gear. TDM was responsive in service questions. They claim to have changed drive shaft vendors. My advice whether you have your own driveshaft fabricated or use the one they provide would be to fit the drive shaft on the engine (out of the car) and spin by hand in all gears to check fit. The Clarance to the tail shaft is really tight. This helps you avoid doing the grinding in tight spaces to clean up casting flash.

They confirmed that the output shaft is welded but their response is they haven’t had another failure since they changed vendors. I have 2500 miles on the transmission since conversion. Runs smooth and oil analysis after break in shows no issues.

That’s my experience so far. Someone on the forum was going to have the welded output shaft tested metallurgically but I never saw a result.

I have a Tremec from TDM in my 150, no trouble at all after 5 years.

For a fraction of the cost, have you considered a change in your rear axle ratio? A 3.31 or 3.07 makes a world of difference compared to the standard U.S. 3.54. But not as sexy as saying “5 speed”.

5 Likes

Good god! Seriously? WHY? That is insanity. It doesn’t take too much parts catalogue digging to come up with a driven plate of the correct diameter and hub splines. Jaguar bought the original parts off of the Borg&Beck shelf. No magic there.

2 Likes

I think it’s tangentially related to the way that Pops Wigton taught me to count cows: just stand near a chute as they go by, count their legs, and then divide by four.

It’ll get you there…:wink:

2 Likes

The Jaguar disc is 10 spine 1 1/8 diameter, the othewise interchangable disc for a Ford is 10 spline 1 1/16 diameter. Medatronics used a standard Ford output shaft in their 5 speed and machined it down to the proper length. They supplied a Centerforce manufactured disc with the proper spline and size (1 1/16) for the shaft. It just bolts in and is used with a stock Jaguar pressure plate assembly. TDM, and this is my speculation, want you to be able to use the Jaguar disc, but can’t get a stock Tremac with the 1 1/8 output shaft so they cut the shaft in half and weld on a 1 1/8 - 10 spline shaft. Not the best but they say that they can do it. I believe that if it’s properly welded and straight it’s fine.

I’m hip to the spline size difference, I’ve done the conversion. It doesn’t take 10 minutes to find a Ford clutch disc that is the same diameter as whatever Jaguar pressure plate you are using. Ford used the same input shaft splines for decades. Lots to choose from.

2 Likes

The thing is, all that I’ve seen aren’t. The weld penetration is circa 3 to 4mm, with the weld surface turned to the diameter of the shaft. This operation would be to eliminate the irregular surface that would constitute stress points for the same reason Con Rods are polished. However, a similar, irregular pattern also exists at the toe of the weld at the depth of the penetration and therefore, given the 3 to 4mm of penetration, its tantamount to transferring the torque of the engine via a 3 to 4mm wall thickness piece of tube with a rough textured bore. My calculations give a resulting strength of circa 30% of the solid shaft.

Depending on how the car is used and your driving style, the shaft may last for quite a while, but when there is a better alternative of a one piece, Ford 10 spline and a myriad of clutch plate combinations available that are compatible with the Jaguar clutch assembly, why go that way?

TDM’s kit for S3 cars just doesn’t fit, period, with TDM just sticking their head in the sand when a complaint was made. With one kit, the completely, wrong clutch assembly, a Ford “V” spline clutch, was supplied, and TDM wanted to put 50% of the blame on the client who purchased the kit, saying that they send a list of the parts being supplied and therefore, the client should have known that the clutch was wrong before it was dispatched. That reply gay me a good laugh, thinking, how many owners, and this client was a first time E Type owner, would even know what Input Shaft spline is used with a Jaguar clutch.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

Mike, when I saw the picture of your engine I went to the garage to see if my air filter was still there…

3 Likes

Exactly, and the only modification that is required to the Ford Mustang First Motion Shaft I replace TDM’s piece of crap with, is to machine the spigot bearing journal to 0.499". TDM said that the Mustang shaft won’t fit. They are wrong about that also.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

From an engineering standpoint, and beyond the application of fractional horsepower uses, I cannot see such a design as being sound.

1 Like

I just changed the pilot bushing to fit the Ford spigot. The recess in the crankshaft is a standard industrial bushing size. Because I modified a bellhousing in lieu of using an adapter plate, I did need to shorten the splined section.

Another parts catalog dive! Subaru air filter! :+1::joy:

1 Like

The Driven Man…5 speed conversion. Just completed this on 1970 Coupe. Recommend assembling on the floor, out of car, and bump start to check starter engagement.
The bell housing is different for the 3.8 and 4.2 engines. They shipped me wrong one. Found this out in the car…
Have about 50 miles on it and have a " rattle " … possible throw out bearing or input shaft bearing…
Kit uses stock driveshaft