69 FHC Series 2 engine rebuild

Maybe so, I wouldn’t know, I’ve never used my phone to access JL. :person_shrugging:

Which kind of brings up an interesting question: I wonder how many people in here actually access the forum by use of a phone… My guess is not very many. Maybe the administrators can tell by which means people access the forum?

For me, it’s probably about 98% on the phone and the rest on my computer.

Yes, 98% of the time I use my phone….

1 Like

count me. 100% iphone.

1 Like

Now that just solved the problem I was thinking about at 3am!!! Was wondering how I could keep a rolling car! Can’t believe the feed back on all the different options…Thanks!!

I’d say I’m about 98% phone. I really only use the computer on the forum if there are a few pics to be seen, just easier with large pics.

2 Likes

Same here.

Mostly on my tablet …occasionally phone and rarely computer

Okay, so before people start posting about where they use their phones, what is the condition of the engine and what would you like to attend to? What else is conveniently done with engine removed?

If indeed the engine you are working on covered 50,000 miles or less, since new, the chances are very good that it won’t need a lot of hard parts: very likely the pistons and bores will be fine, and the crank will not need to be ground. None of this can be ascertained until you tear the engine down.

Couple of questions: does it run now? If so, does it make any bad noises, or does it smoke?

Note, check valves before turning, they get sticky and then they bend.
Otherwise it should be fine, if it was dry all the time.

David all the plugs are still in , but there will be open valves of course, I was a bit dubious about turning it over by hand with out shooting Wd40 or some other agent into the cylinders.

davidsxj6 https://forums.jag-lovers.com/u/davidsxj6 David
December 30

Note, check valves before turning, they get sticky and then they bend.
Otherwise it should be fine, if it was dry all the time.

Topic
https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/69-fhc-series-2-engine-rebuild/428711/51
or reply to this email to respond.

Did the data plate pic come through, I have to send from my phone!!!

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here

When I did start it all those years ago there was no smoke and was surprised how smooth it sounded…oil is still at same level today as then, no leaks! Of course the petrol pump needed some tlc to get going, but had plenty of practice on those pumps with the old mini van I had!! If you didn’t hear it when the ignition was switched on a sharp was required… and those cars it was engine out the top OR engine and subframe out the bottom…a knuckle skinner… tried to put some pics on the site using my phone but too big!

I see the pic of the data plate went through… more luck than judgment… the studs on the exhaust manifold are of different lengths! I don’t think the head has been off! Any ideas? The car had factory ac, part of that is missing. All the relevant nuts, bolts etc have been PB blasted. I give them a shot every morning. So I’ll wait a few days… I did mention I have all the panels to replace the bottom of the car… now I think I’ve got the pics under control :crossed_fingers:I’ll be able to send some more…

Well I thought I had it under control!!!Sorry about the middle pic… i don’t know how to get rid of it without ruining my hard work putting this together…Mannatees at the dock!
Sandy

1 Like

Nuts are brass, will come off, either a stud is not screwed in fully or a heat shield, dipstick or other fixture was bolted to it. Don’t worry about the extra picture, fun project, very nice.

Given the amount of rust that I can see, I’m extremely concerned about the rust you cannot see: that strongly suggests that the car is going to have to be taken clear apart, put on a rotisserie, and properly braced across the cockpit section before you go cutting out all those floors.

4 Likes

Just sent some pics of the panels I’ve accumulated over the years. Please check the fitment of the transmission tunnel side panels!!! Shipping docs say “transmission tunnel RH for series 2”MRE112E other is “transmission tunnel side panel LH for 4.2L” MRE112C they do not mate together…. These were a recent purchases

Pic of the panels I’ve accumulated over the years. Panels shown are very recent… the transmission side panels do not mate as can be seen…part # MRE112E series 2 RH and MRE112C LH for EType 4.2L (nothing about series 2 on it)?? Can’t see how the top fits in the car as I can’t get to the joint. But I would hope they would meet as a matched pair???