69 xke restoration

I needed to use a rat tail file to slot the holes in the LBJ so the bolts would fit. I figured I had nothing to lose and no damage was done to lower wishbone.

I am not plating them, only painting them with Silver VHT Caliper paint and Satin Black VHT Roll Bar and Chassis paint from the local AutoZone. Finish is nice and when baked the VHT paint lasts well even on the calipers.

The lower ball joints in the kit do not fit. Here is the link to the discussion. Save yourself the bother and just get the Lemforder version from the start.

The spring in the kit for the upper balljoint also does not compress flat even with the correct tool so cannot get the circlip seated. Using the original springs it was easy to assemble.

Jay

A little more progress. Managed to get a few more items cleaned up.and painted including the steering rack and replacement differential. Looking forward to seeing all the parts assembled in the frame now but still a lot to do until I get to that stage.

Jay

Looking good.
At this rate you’ll be driving it in the summer.

Jay, Your at a good stage, almost there…Cleaner work now, the piles of dirt and grease are long gone :slight_smile: Great job
GTJOEY1314

Discovered that one of my IRS wishbone inner fulcrum shaft bearings is toast and the bearing tube that fits into it is scored pretty badly. I therefore need to replace the two bearings and bearing tube on one wishbone. I searched the archive and did not find much detail on the removal of the two bearings. Wondering if I can just use a vice and some sockets to push both bearing out the same side or where there is something in between the bearings to stop this from happening.

Thanks
Jay

check you tube some one did the whole rear suspension rebuild in episodes.

I don’t remember how Idid it but didn’t use special tools. there’s just a gap between the two captured needle bearings, IIRC

I’ve got one apart in the shop right now, albeit from a 63. On mine, yes, you could just push both the bearings out. Push one in, it will come up against the other one, then continue to push and they should both push out. The bearing tubes are part of the bearing kit that SNG sells.

Thanks for confirming Harvey.
Your website is coming along nicely. Going to be a great resource with the details you are documenting.

Jay

I am considering a “premium” version of my website, where you pay to hear about all the things I’ve screwed up and am embarassed to talk about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BTW that website “Recyclery” which gets mentioned here a lot is pretty much solid gold when you get to doing your IRS rebuild. That guy makes me look like a piker when it comes to documenting what he does.

I am considering a “premium” version of my website, where you pay to hear about all the things I’ve screwed up and am embarassed to talk about

I’ll co-author that page with you. I’m still undoing all the idiocy of youth from when I originally got my E.

1 Like

If ever you decide to add a guest column, keep me in mind :sunglasses:.

1 Like

Sadly, we’ve all been there done that. Part of the learning process. At least I still have all of my original 10 fingers.

1 Like

Thank goodness. I was thinking I was the only one who did that.

1 Like

Apparently I’m quickly joining that club! Lately my goal has stopped trying to not make any mistakes (which has proven to be impossible) and shifted to an apparently more possible goal of not making the same mistake twice.

Chet

1 Like

Thank goodness. I was thinking I was the only one who did that.

I tubbed the rear end of my coupe in the late 80s. Nuff said.

"I am considering a “premium” version of my website, where you pay to hear about all the things I’ve screwed up and am embarassed to talk about "

Ummm, Harvey, are you taking contribution episodes?

LLo… errr, Joe

It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Diff is looking nice with the cover back on and painted to match. Planning to change to output shaft seals and pinion seal but I wanted to see something put together for a change rather than torn apart, just to make it feel like I am getting somewhere and moving forward. Should look nice once the IRS is assembled.

Jay

1 Like

More sandblasting this weekend. Seems to never end but definitely moving forward. Also spent some time scraping undercoat and cleaning the hard brake/fuel line from the underside of the car.

Jay

2 Likes