69 xke restoration

Lovely job, beyond my capability. Love the colour, painted my 3.8 coupe that colour back in '78. Now have S1 Sovereign same colour

If I added up the hours that I have spent in front of my bead blast cabinet it would be an impressive number. In addition to having a good vacuum system, I purchased a bunch of plastic shields/tearoffs to go over the main glass. The plastic gets cloudy pretty quickly but much cheaper than replacing the glass. I also installed a LED strip light in the cabinet. A blasting cabinet is an expensive setup if you get a decent size cabinet and a strong compressor but I suspect it is one of the most highly used tools in my restoration arsenal. Also, my mother in law has learned to like random bottles that I “frost”. A cheap way to make her day. It’s a win-win if the bottles came filled with whiskey!

1 Like

I must be making progress. I recognize many of the items shown in Jay’s picture :slight_smile:

Chet

1 Like

A friend once told me ‘It’s not a mistake if I can fix it… and I can fix anything’.

4 Likes

Sprayed and baked the parts this evening. Time to dig around for the next batch.

Jay

3 Likes

Hello Jay - ‘Spray & Bake’ ? special paint with a heat treat afterwards? . They look great. Nick

Started assembling the front stub axle assemblies. Put new bearings in the hubs. Zinc plated all the bolts. Mounted the hubs to the new brake discs and attached them to the stub axle assemblies. My first sub-assembly is underway, yay…:sunglasses:

Jay

4 Likes

I was going to note that for the new sealed ball joints to fit you first have to knock-back and out the collar used in the originals set-up. But I see you have got the new ones sorted, nice work

I’m mildly curious if there is something you can apply to the brake discs to keep them from rusting between now and when the car finally hit’s the road. Something that isn’t detrimental to the ultamate action of bedding the brake pads in for the first time. Anyone? Ferris? Anyone?

Any surface rust will instantly disappear on the first drive. Just keep them indoors and dry.

Bill, you are of course absolutely right. I was thinking more along the lines of how those of us with “years in the making” restoration projects tend to sit around and admire our work done so far. As eloquently described by Peter Egan. Rusty brake discs just tend to ruin the vibe :slight_smile:

There’s this modern stuff, called cosmoline?

:grimacing:

1 Like

Leave the discs off until final assembly and keep them wrapped in this until that time?

I will admit that whatever that brown wrapping paper is that the mfg used for shipping works very well. I had never suspected that the invidible hand of technology might be at work. Interesting!

The brake discs sat on my car in the garage for probably at j LH east two years before the car hit the road. I never had any kind of rust problem with them. My garage is heated and cooled, not extravagantly so but enough to keep the worst of the conditions at bay.

I wouldn’t worry about it given they’ll be k m I’ve more exposure to water when the car is finished, unless one plans on removing the wheels every time and wiping them dry.

I have two modern cars that live outside.eave them standing for a few days and rust forms on the disc…gone after a couple of uses.

Not knowing how long it’ll be before my car’s on the road, on the front end I went ahead and installed the discs to the hub, and installed the hub on the car. I didn’t clean off the residual oils that were on the discs from the vendor packaging, hoping that would delay any longer-term rust issues. More importantly, I made a note on my pre-drive checklist to clean those oils off with brake cleaner.

Agreed: much worry about nothing.

I am in San Jose CA also so nothing really rusts here anyway. If I was still in England I would definitely have done it differently.

Jay

1 Like

Managed to find the time put 4 more bots in today so front calipers attached. I got a much better sense of achievement from that than the many months of scraping underseal.

Jay

1 Like

Jay - these stub axles look really great. Did you zinc plate the bolts yourself? Also, on the quote above did you use special paint that required a heat treatment? thx Nick