71 roadster radio speakers

Suggestions for speakers/dimensions for 71 XKE roadster. My understanding is that the speakers are behind the seats, not in the center console.

My 71 E-Type OTS is a Series 2 and the speakers are in the console (like earlier E-Types).

If you have a Series 3 then I am of no help.

I see you have a Series III. There is a fair bit of relevant information in the archives available through the search function. See this link for one of the discussions.

Joe

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/best-location-for-speakers/366940

On the 1971 model year 4.2 the speakers are on the sides of the radio console. I had a hard time finding the really shallow depth speakers to fit the available space. The rear speakers in the bulkhead were obviously retro-fitted and not original.

This is not for the 1971 S3

That there looks like the correct radio console for an A/C equipped Series II.

Correct! …20 characters go in to a b

We have drifted from the original question since we learned it referred to a Series 3, but as this was mentioned:

What I used that worked w/o much fuss were these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FSSHTFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made a plastic disc to adapt them to the stock mounting studs:

They’re boat / marine / watercraft - so in the unlikely event of a water landing I’ll still have tunes.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the inspiration to change out my S2 speakers. I opted for the 5.25" size, taking the chance that I could get them to work. I bought some of the cutting sheets in case, but as it turned out… my handy-dandy Dremel was all I needed.

These are the Marine speakers I used. I was intrigued by the shallow depth and the finished backside.

The speakers’ holes weren’t quite in the right place:

So I used the Dremel with a router bit to make notches to accomodate the grille bolts/screws:

These speakers fit perfectly down into the grill cover:

and it all went back in nicely:

For comparison… old speaker depth to new:

And no, it doesn’t sound like the Bose system in my Golf, but it might be something like the poor excuse for a sound system that’s in my 2017 F. Maybe I’ll get brave, take its door panels off and replace those at some point.

1 Like