73 S3 2+2 Auto Tranny removal

Can the auto tranny be removed without removing engine or do you have to take both out together. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,
I know that Ole responded to a previous inquiry about this so Iā€™ll just say the samething-no.
There are people who have suggested that it can be done but they either havenā€™t backed up their claims with data/information or they have done significant cutting/bodges to the car to be able to get it out.
I replaced my 73ā€™s automatic with a manual transmission 2 years ago (Ole and I were commiserating as we were doing the same thing at about the same time) and I found it relatively easy to pull the engine and transmission by following the Bentley repair manual, in fact I think it was easier than pulling the engine in the 6 as the top picture frame rail on the S3 can be taken off allowing more clearance on the Wee 12.
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi Jim. Yes, it can be done. Un-bolt drive shaft both ends of course. May have to loosen IRS to get some wiggle room, and slide out drive shaft. Un-bolt everything else, as I am sure you know, and you will now have enough room to slide tranny back and remove. To help with putting back in, send driveshaft out while working on transmission, have 4 inches cut off, and replaced with a longer sliding yoke, and now removing /replacing becomes much easier job. Engine remains undisturbed. Cutting and balancing at a top notch driveshaft shop should be about $100. Good luck ! John

1 Like

Here we go again, as you would say ā€œLOLā€
Regards,
LLynn

Yupā€¦here we go againā€¦you have never done it, you cant imagine how it could be done, you have never seen a car up on a lift that had it done, so thereforeā€¦ā€œhere we go againā€ Its been done , it works, and is a huge time saver. But counter-productive comments from people like you might stop folks from making a beneficial upgrade to there car. Big help. Why not help, rather then hinder.

My question for you John, is have you ever done it? Not your mechanic, you?
Regards,
LLynn

1 Like

My question for you, L.Lynn, is did somebody help you with that unbelievably inappropriate question ? Or you came up with on your own ?
Regards,
John

I reckon if you did lower the IRS a bit, then there is probably enough room with the standard tranny.
with a Getrag long tail 5 speed box there is not enough room and modification of the tunnel cover is required.
The mod to the propshaft sounds sensible.

Hi Jimā€¦aside from the arguments and you might want to try removeing in situeā€¦The Jaguar manual says to remove engineā€¦Steve

Well if the manual tells you to remove engine, I guess you should follow the manual.

Very little modification required. Considering you can eliminate the need to pull the engine, well worth it. Actually, if you get hold of, or can visit a drive-shaft shop, you will find that telescoping driveshafts, either original, or a mod, are more common than you would think. In the S3, once the mod is made, no more moving IRS, or engine.

With the standard tranny a longer telescoping driveshaft sounds doable.
However with the Getrag box it has a splined output shaft, so putting a second telescoping one in the driveshaft is probably not possible.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am reading through the manual and took a look under the car. It is very tight in there by the box. Maybe if I pull the whole engine and tranny , I can get all of those little oil leaks fixed in the engine too. Thanks again for the feedback as it is great to have agroup of fellow enthusiasts for input. jim

Well good morning to you too John,
I think your continued inability to provide the skeptics among us with any sort of documentation/photos make this an incredibly reasonable question. You have repeatedly told folks that the transmission can be removed from ALL E Types by simply cutting off 4 inches of the drive shaft, I will remain a skeptic until you can provide convincing evidence to the contrary. [quote=ā€œjoe-jag, post:5, topic:353743ā€]
Why not help, rather then hinder.
[/quote]

Exactly my point John.
Regards,
LLynn

So your a skeptic ? Why would I , or any member of this forum care ??? You want me to provide documentation and pictures ? Why? Donā€™t think it works ? Fineā€¦donā€™t do it. Want to come to NYC, and pay to put the car up on a lift, by all means, please do. Someone asked a questionā€¦can gearbox be removed without pulling engine ?. Answer: yes, it can. Donā€™t believe itā€¦who cares ! I Would like to think that we all come to the forum to assist others, and learn. What do you bring to the table other then your own mis-informed, mis-guided opinions.

Hi John,
Sorry, I think itā€™s very reasonable to ask for evidence when someone is recommending an approach that is neither mentioned in the Bentley manual nor suggested by anyone else on the list.
That being said, anytime you bring this up in the future I will simply ask: evidence?
I am done with this discussion till you can provide it, should you be able to provide this evidence I will happily jump on your bandwagon and ā€˜singā€™ your praise to the ā€˜Heavensā€™.
Regards,
LLynn[quote=ā€œwallstman1, post:15, topic:353743ā€]
I Would like to think that we all come to the forum to assist others, and learn. What do you bring to the table other then your own mis-informed, mis-guided opinions.
[/quote]

Why would I seek your approval or praises ? I must provide proof ? Oh brother. I am sitting in my E right now. The proof is about 6 inches below my right butt cheek.

Thatā€™s nuts, shaving the prop shift, total nuts !

I used a autozone 2 ton cheap engine hoist with 2" tow cable attached to picture frame to lift front of car up and
With atv pulled end / trans out from below. Eng was on creeper and used same method for re install. Dick M freshened up trans and welded head, local mechanical did resleave liners.once creeper was under car, used hoist to hover eng while torsionbar was attached.note suspension hubs off while doing this.

Patrick
'66 fhc

1 Like

Shaving ?? You mean cutting driveshaft, and installing collapsible section, making it more user friendly ? Pulling gear box and re-install in less then 4 hours, without disturbing engine ?? Yeaā€¦nuts !! Please donā€™t do it. Of course its been done in 1000ā€™s of applications for years, but you know best.

Hey guys itā€™s a shame to see a potentially good idea lost in angry posts.
For John to provide proof with his S3 he would have to get the car up on a hoist, remove the exhaust, then remove the heat shields. Then unbolt the IRS, lower it some to allow the driveshaft to slide out. This is necessary as the S3 has the shaft contained in a tunnel.
This is no small undertaking, and I can understand his reluctance to do so.
I see he has offered for someone else to pay for this, so perhaps the Jag club in North America should take him up on it.