88 XJS TWR or not!

I came accross an ad in Canadian autotrader.
I don’t believe it is a TWR, what do you guys think, its up for sale for $40,000 pics attached
Internet_20200304_213854_4|666x500

I don’t see photos of anything that would tell us. Engine, rear brakes, even badges would help.

Even if it is a genuine TWR, I don’t think it’s worth $40K.

I’m more familiar with the facelift XJR-S, but from the interior shot I would have expected the gear shift lever to have a round knob, not the T shifter. Also the tredplates to say JaguarSport, and it has a standard steering wheel. From the other shot of the exterior, I can see it has a TWR bodykit, but that’s probably about all it has. The wheels probably should be different to regular starfish ones.

I can’t say if this car is or is not a TWR car but it must be remembered TWR and the jaguar sport XJRS cars are not one and the same.
The joint venture XJRS’s are identified by vin number while the earlier TWR’s not so.
Shift lever and tread plates in a genuine TWR would not be jaguar sport items since jaguar sport did not yet exist.

Look here

TWR offered a great number of options. Most buyers only took the body kit.

The steering wheel shown is not TWR.

Good luck,

Rob

Being an 1988 car it would be difficult to tell if it was one of the last factory cars or the body kit was a later owner addition to a standard car. That, very informative, identification guide implies that the Speedline wheels, and the TWR steering wheel were always fitted, so this is possibly not a TWR. A bit cheapskate to only go for the body kit if they were optional though.

The “B” pillar and roof look the same as my '88 XJ-SC.

One has to watch out for sucker ads…Id let my xjs go for half that or less

Thanks for the feedback,
I checked the TWR styliing guide and I can see there are many items missing even with the few photos available.
I see in the guide that the engine number is a big factor on originality, I hate to think someone might put big money into buying a nice cat and get a rat lol.

This looks to be an XJ-SC. The cars modified by the dealer with TWR parts are not XJ-SR’s and if I am not mistaken these cars were in fact modified by the dealers.

Yes, I was told the dealer put the body kits on.

Rear ones have TWR stamped into them. There are knock offs out there.

My rusty parts car has the body kit, black-out chrome, Speedlines, and steering wheel. So mine’s worth more that $40K right?

Cheers,

Rob

I guess that $40k was Canadian, so $30K US. You also may want to adjust your expectations downwards a bit further if you take a closer look at that “Speedline” wheel on the right rear corner. :grinning:

Good eye Cosmo. I took the Speedline’s off. They are of the 16 inch variety. There were some 15 inch, but maybe those ere for XJ TWR.

Typo from my last post. It should say that REAL TWR bumper covers are stamped, not REAR.

Both front and rear are stamped.

Rob

The spare set of rims I bought off some guy with a racing XJS, are 16" Speedlines, and have TWR hubcaps.

I believe the first 300 odd jaguarsport xjrs’s were 5.3 litre and were fitted with the 15 inch speedlines.
They then changed to the 6 litre version and wheels went to staggered 16 inch.

Rob,
I’m curious, is there a Rottweiler on the end of that chain in the third picture🤔

1 Like

Ha, no Dennis,

That chain was used to yank the car on a trailer to get it home.
It was a challenge: both doors locked, 4 flat tires, no keys. As this was a Cabriolet, I climbed in the roof, cut the door panels open to access the lock rods, then smashed off the ignition lock so it would steer. I could have removed the ignition lock properly, but I have replacements, and this is car that will only be parted out due to rust, and I don’t have a key for it. Then I brought 4 wheels that hold air and swapped them on. The body kit would have been ruined trying to load it so low to the ground, and I want to roll it when home. Cut a hole to open trunk too.
Just for fun, I’m going to see if it runs.

Cheers,

Rob

Send us a pic if you get it running, I bet that TWR tuned engine will be worth some money if it’s a runner.

Rob,

Does your XJ-SC parts car have the flip up piece near the rear view mirror ? If so I need one for my XJ-SC.

Stephen

pic of the CAR Tom Walkinshaw drove when he came to Daytona 24 race , had it shipped over for his daily driver, i got this pic(should have taken more) but it is a genuine TWR vehicle!

1 Like