A Hole By Any Other Name

…is still a hole.

Well, now that I am dedicated to the automatic-to-manual conversion for the new box (5 speed is en route) I am going to solicit help from anyone that is willing to share on this operation. One of my initial questions, if anyone knows- do I need to cut out the equivalent section of the tunnel that the factory has opened up for the 4 speed? There is no top inspection plate on this new trans such that I don’t need the access. My thoughts are to just make enough “hole” to get the shifter through with clearance for the full travel of the stick, and not much more.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Huff
69 2+2 E-Type

Here is a photo to contemplate:

Removing the tunnel cover on mine offers access to the reverse switch, angle drive, output/propshaft flange bolts, speedo cable, vent line and foam insulation (not shown). It also allows servicing of the shifter which I recall doing in the parking lot of a Subway in Chilne AZ.

You might think about how these things are arranged on the box you will be installing.

Do you have a photo of what that area looks like on an automatic 2+2? Can you just install a manual box cover in place of what is there?

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/parts/a5ead63e-f638-48b3-a469-70e497f7eeca

For a moment there I thought this might be another political thread, then noticed there’s no hyphen after the A.

5 Likes

…BWAAAAAAAhahahaha!!!

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Not wanting to fan any flames; but da#n Nick, that we thought that was
hilarious in my house.

Cheers, Alan

The transmission cover for the auto and manual are very different. The auto and manual cars had different body shells, underframes, and dash. I am not an expert on the difference between the two, but I believe that the transmission tunnel was wider for the auto and had access panels on the sides. So the transmission cover for the manual will most likely not fit. However you will probably want to cut an opening in the top of the cover for access to the breather connection, reverse switch, etc.

Richard Liggitt

Oddly neither SNG nor XKs lists a console cover for the automatic.

I also do not claim to be an expert but I thought the tunnel n the 2+2 was designed to accept both the manual and automatic transmissions and he sheet metal, except for the cover was identical. 'I’ve owned both a FHC and 2+2, and I recall the 2+2 tunnel being significantly wider and longer than on the FHC. The 2+2 manual has a different tail shaft, it’s longer and still there is room for it in the tunnel. It is also wide enough that I could also access the angle drive from below the car without removing anything.

SNG claims the cover BD27463 fits a variety of E-types. I guess the best thing is to check with one or more suppliers and ask their guidance.

Cover

All I can be sure of is the parts manuals call out different part number for the body shell, underframe, floor assembly, dash assy, etc. for 2+2 automatic and manual. I assume it is because it needs a larger area to accommodate the big fat auto. The manual tranny for the 2+2 was lengthened to match the length of the auto. The consoles are different too.

Richard Liggitt

All true, but they, SNG and XKs, are also saying the cover (for manual cars) are the same.

I ran across this picture of a molded cover %24_20

The caption claimed it was for an e-type. Automatic?

I’d love to see a picture of Huff’s interior with the console removed. At this point I’m just curious to learn more about the differences between the automatic and manual cars; besides the obvious that is.

As others have stated both transmission tunnel covers are different. I have done this conversion several times and I used the original auto transmission tunnel cover (the metal part) and cut a hole in it for the gear lever. The auto tunnel is much wider than the manual so there are no issues regarding fit, however, the footwell is narrower and can be tight for your clutch foot on a RHD. The first picture shows a custom centre consol made from a X308.CIMG2553

The second picture is a standard auto centre console covered and cut to accept the gear lever complete with gaiter!

Dash%204

This image shows the amount of space available when fitting a manual box (xjs Getrag) into an auto tunnel.

Getrag

Finally another shot from inside:

The manual covers are definitely not the same for all series. The S3 has the gearlever come out differently to the one shown here.
In hindsight, I think I’d do what Pat suggests. Use the auto cover and make it work for the manual box. If the new gearbox have the gear lever come out in the exact same place as a standard Jaguar 4 speed, you can potentially get a replacement center console and use that as template to modify the auto box cover.
Cheers … Ole

I am pretty sure the manual centre console isn’t wide enough for the auto tunnel and it sits on top, IIRC there are differences between the radio console as well (might be wrong, memory fade).

Speaking for the S3, the transmission tunnel is the same for both models. The center consol fits fine. However, the radio console as you point out, is different because of the gearlever being different as well as positioned differently. For the other models where the transmission tunnel is wider for the auto box, there might be an issue with fitting a manual cover and center console to the auto box tunnel.
So many people have done it, there is bound to be some wise words from someone who have been down that path.

Cheers … Ole

Yes, but Huff has a Series II 2+2. I was addressing that.

Ole, I am a little confused by your post. S1,auto and manual S2 auto and manual and S3 auto and manual transmission tunnels are different, as are the centre consoles and the radio consoles.

600 ?

maybe I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the series 3 has the same floorpan and transmission tunnel for both the OTS and 2+2, whether manual or automatic. The transmission tunnel cover is off course different for the auto and manual versions as are the radio consoles and again if you combine it with AC there will be a difference as well. A search for replacement panels at the usuals also seem to confirm my above statements.

For the S1 & S2, I’m clueless and have had no reason to research. However, understand that an auto box equipped car has a wider transmission tunnel than the manual version.

Ah, understand now, yes S3’s are the same trans tunnel for OTS and 2+2’s by gearbox type. On reflection I would think all 2+2 autos (and S3 OTS autos) are the same transmission tunnel cover.

Thanks all, for chiming in. The Series 2 2+2 is like the Ser3 in wheelbase length, and there was a Ser2 manual box version, but I don’t know if the trans tunnel was the same for the automatic vs the stick cars. I looked around for photos of when last I had it opened up and could not handily find but I did find some of the BW box and of the tunnel, from below

(attached, here) which indicates that the automatic tunnel is wider than the manual version, so now it is a matter of height of the new stick box. I have a small hole as is where the automatic shifter cable mechanism goes thru the tunnel to the old box and my thoughts, currently, is to just make a hole for the shifter but backup light switch, speedo cable and other access may change that when the time (some months out) comes.

Thanks again, to all.