A matter of paint

I think I just somehow ended up on their standard mail out. But you can probably sign up , they always have fully restored XJ-S’s for sale and are looking for donor cars to fix up and sell. Apparently a big thing in the UK. To modernize a classic Jaguar with all the modern updates so you can use as a daily driver. You can check out their website. Captain Slow did a full review on Top Gear of one of their XJ-S’s.

Just checked out their website…VERY helpful, they have tons of images of restorations on XJ-S’s.

GEEZ … home to a lot of owners who must have more $$ :money_with_wings: than sense … :crazy_face: I wonder why the “1992” XJS they’re selling has more like a pre-facelift grill and taillights on it, btw … ? :confused:

One thing I learned though from looking at all those XJSes … I always thought many European countries had RHD … Is England :uk: the ONLY one? :confused:

First off, know that the UK doesn’t consider itself in Europe. Second, you are correct, all of Continental Europe drives on the right now. There was a famous day when everyone in Sweden was asked to go out to the street in front of their houses, dig up any and all traffic signs, and transplant them to the opposite side of the road. That’s how you switch sides of the road overnight. Of course, the Brits are contrary and continue to drive on the wrong side of the road.

1 Like

Why be just one of the crowd ? :grin:

Yes and that night in Sweden :sweden: was about 60 years ago so no Europeans :eu: will have to worry when borders :pleading_face: are open again! :relaxed: Only the people who have to exchange their GB signs for UK signs (because politics) drive on the wrong side.

that sounds like great community effort moving the signs by the public… we d get arrested here for touching them

My theory is , and its only a theory, don’t the Brits have a long naval history, so even today when you buy a boat the steering wheel is on the wrong side ?
Also doesn’t Japan and Australia maybe Hong Kong drive on the other-side of the road. Must be from 200 or 300 years ago when the Brits were going around colonizing and influencing the world on how things should be done.
Now its just a matter of principle and the Brits can’t admit the rest of the world is right. (No pun intended) !
After-all is it tires or tyres?

1 Like

All of it, little fyres.

:crazy_face:

I thought the reason was in old England knights rode horses on left side so they could fight with their weapon in right hand? So it just carried on this way as horses turned to cars? I think its the rest of the world that decided to be different and drive on the right.

1 Like

I had also thought for the longest time that the UK’ right hand drive originated from jousting as well. I can’t seem to remember what else I heard that contradicted it.

So why did you lot decide that driving on the right was the best way ? , I think you were rebellious , persnickety and cantankerous , get back in line you buggers ! :joy:

1 Like

I think it was simply silly nationalism: till about 1909, if memory serves me properly, many American cars were RHD. But I think we always drove on the right, but I could be wrong.

I mean, it’s not even noon, and I’ve already been wrong today!

Getting past the cost of restoration, could it be that the people spending the big bucks know something about future valuations that the rest of don’t?

Back on topic eh ! Ah well , the knight life will have to wait .:grimacing:

No: Nobody “knows” the future pricing of collectible cars.

It’s an educated crap shoot, always has been, always will be.

All in all, investing in the stock market is a
better long-haul idea.

I always thought thats why we shake hands with your right hand to show your open hand , no concealed weapon, and you couldn’t draw your sword?

We were talking about this a few months ago, and I stick to my opinion…I think it is simply national pride. A lot of rich UK folk want to keep true British cars alive. I mean, our XJ-S’s were the last of the true engineered by Britain, made in Britain, owned by Britain.

I lot of rich folk here in the US will pay a fortune to have old 50s/60s Chevy’s and Ford’s restored, back when America made the best cars in the world and everything was done here.

Some of the Knights had a sword in each hand , ever watched Roger Moore as Ivanhoe ?

IIRC, it went something like this: The Brits drove on the left and sat on the right so they could greet (or stab) one another when they pulled up alongside. The Americans set up their early cars so they sat on the right because that’s what the Brits did, but – in an era when you’d rarely see another car on the road – the American drivers quickly began driving on the right so they could pull up in front of a destination and get out without walking through all the horses**t in the road. Once it was firmly established that one and all would drive on the right, eventually the driver’s seat moved to the left.