Almost there part 342

1 Like

1 Like

I love this project! I had wondered what happened as I remember it from a couple of years ago. Glad to see it is making great progress. Really like the color choice. Different, understated and not boring. Perfect for an XJS. Well done!

Hope I didn’t crash the server. I have many more pictures. I learned much from this project and still learning. I have lived / worked from coast to coast, and it seems I always had a British car in my life. Usually on blocks (I just need to adjust this) lol.
All thoughts I appreciate.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, Dolly still lives. The wytchdoktor gave her that name. The paint color is supposed to be gun metal gray metalic. But if you’re a rooky at painting (thank God I’m a pro at sanding) and don’t mix paint as well as you should and get your activator, reducer and flow set properly you get a different shade. It came out really quite nice thankfully.

1 Like

Oh, one other thing, don’t think for a minute that I’m a guy with money and time. I am just a working guy with a very understanding wife. You have to be creative with the resources available. During this build I sold parts off it, then bought a 5.3 from a guy that was installing a lump. Sold some of that to help fund this. Do the work yourself it’s ok. You don’t need a big shop and every tool known to man. A guy I met on this forum James has been a great breath of fresh air and a really good recourse of knowledge and parts. Don’t freak out about this car just stay on task. If you’re looking for a quick build to show off do yourself a favor and pick something else.

Wow, impressive! Amazing to see others people’s work that is well over my head on these beautiful cars!

And I vote B. The classic wheels work with the body more. The A wheels make it look like a muscle car.

Super nice work Nib…!!
I like you attention to detail, very well thought out and excellently executed.

I see you deleted the climate control knobs. How did you do this?

Currently I have Temp control (you can see next to stereo) the blowers are on / off right now controlled by push buttons on dash center. No a/c at this time (just couldn’t stand the thought of mounting the comp back on motor I’d rather sweat). Plans are to remove dash when I install 5 speed conversion. The black dash panels I made are just to get an idea on how I want the layout. With dash removed I can make vent control manual, electric or back to vacuum. The original system on this car didn’t work and was way too complicated / expensive to try and fix. Also want to look into vintage air they have some pretty handy units. A/c compressor will have to find a new home maybe down where air pump use to live (or just dress lightly).
According to Bob I’ll be smiling to much with the 5 speed to give shit about how hot I am.

2 Likes

Just some fabrication pics.

1 Like

3 Likes

Somebody knows how to run a TIG. Very very nice.

From straight on your toothed ignition sensor looks like a crank pulley for a roots blower. Lol.

Dual purpose. I like it will have to put that down for Rev 343 :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

You’re not kidding what talent. Young guy down here in Homosassa Fl. does mainly boat towers and tops.

Don’t like looking at your work anymore, makes me feel like a caveman. :wink:

lol. I’m still a cave man. I just haven’t showed you (or told you) all my ideas that didn’t work.

3 Likes

There was a local car show near me today at Cattle Dog coffee. My son and I have gone to quit a few shows and he bugs me to bring my car out of hiding. Well this morning I got up around 7:00 am having not yet convinced myself of attendance. Then to my bewilderment who comes out of the gamers Lare ready to go but…
So with fingers crossed I fired the girl up and off we went. Pretty good turn out. Probably 50-60 cars, Mustangs, Vets, Mopar’s, GM stuff and turbo crowd.
Of course during my build I decided to install much smaller wing mirrors (because they look better that’s why) of course you can’t see shit with a car that’s like a

space x rocket laying down. But we got backed in and all good.

2 Likes

Awesome! The car looks fantastic!

Thanks bob.
My son just says chill. Your paint is perfect, I say so many things not right. He say’s what’s wrong and I SAY well it started in 1989 when I moved to California… Just chill I’m not going down that road yet.
Good day. found that pesky fuel smell again. Fuel tank leaking somewhere on bottom. Son really upset because I just filled with 93@LGB price. Had to drain and put in his jacked mustang or lawn mower.