Another AC problem 1996 Facelift 4.0 XJS

yes , Thanks you for your reply I was thinking of cking the Vac Where is the Tank located?

I donā€™t know on facelift cars; mine is an ā€˜88. On that it is in front of right front wheel if I recall. Vacuum connection to engine is at rear of the right side intake manifold on a V12.
I think the panel/ floor door is also vacuum, if a source issue that wouldnā€™t be working either.

I found what I believe is a Vac supply line on the r/h side just below the side console duct, It is white and went into a splitter and on the other side one of them was red. the other I could not tell.

The vacuum reservoir on the facelifts is below the ABS Pump module mounting plate on the right side (psgr) of the firewallā€¦ On the inside, it is to the left and above the 4.0 ECU. Tough to get to from either place, but it is not usually the problem - more likely the connecting hoses there, the engine vacuum source, the vacuum solenoid module behind the radio, or the vacuum motors for the defroster or side vents, or the air recirc doors on the blowers.

If I recall, red goes to the heater water control valve under the hood, green the defrost door- both solenoids on the right. Outside air door is blue; solenoid on left side. Source vacuum is white, tees to all solenoids.

I am going to test the white line today for vac .if it is not there then I have to go to vac module which I believe is behind the R/H Blower which I just reinstalled.

Latest and greatest from the 96 Facelift Saga. I cked the Vac at the white line going into the System I have perfect Vac . I started the Engine put it on full cool manual operation. Fans still blowing mostly through the Defroster. I have some cooling going out of the lower vents near the console and side vents Almost Nothing from the center vent . A question I have cked the lower vent motor it tested Good however upper motor is an SOB to get to so I did not test itā€¦ Could that be my problem? I been told using a stethoscope you can hear the motor running , However, I am hearing disabled (Service Connected )and probably will not hear it over the engine runningā€¦

If you can get your hand of fingers on it, you should be able to feel the vibrations of the wheels turning as you operate the controls

I will try that , Before tearing apart the r/h blower again

I fully expect that is your problem.

Murphys law I suppose, Lucky I did not put the dash back on yet. Was goint to tes the CCM to see if it gets a signal first , I am a little apprehensive as I donā€™t know if my digital fluke will damage it.

looking at the wiring diagram if I pull the plug out of the CCM , and apply voltage 9v to pins 40 &42 on the plug end that should just energize the upper flap motor . ? Update this did work and motor tested OK

Finally fixed the AC system,I wish to thank all those who helped me with this project. As it would turn out the problems were as follows Bad Darlington transistors both were bad . changed out the diodes as a matter of course, replaced AC compressor relay .Also a Bad CCM. AC system is now up and running .

3 Likes

Ye gads, pretty much everything that could go bad had gone bad!

Yea it was a Bugger of a time to trac down the problems