Another mysterious wire

I searched for “mystery wire” but didn’t what I’m looking for. I’ve been snooping around the steering column because my turn indicators stopped working. I tried another flasher relay but no joy. I’ll need to do a bit more research on that but today was the first time I took a good look around in that area.

There’s a white wire that’s alone in a black sheath with a connector. I can’t see a mate for it anywhere. All the electrics are working as far as I know except the recent failure of the indicators but this wire isn’t near any of that. Thinking about it now, I should have slid that sheath back a bit to see the real color of the fabric covering.

My car has A/C. It’s not working but the fan and compressor kick on when I operate the switches so I don’t think this wire is related to it.

Ideas?
Thanks
Dave

A couple of possibilities? Ignition switch buzzer. When my car was delivered new the headlight high beam flashers were disabled for the American market? The ignition switch buzzer did use a bullet connector.
Glenn

2 Likes

I think if you look closely the wire is actually purple but faded to near white. This is the key switch buzzer connection.

Richard Liggitt

2 Likes

I think that’s got to be it. I was looking at a 1970 wiring diagram that doesn’t show it and then found a slightly newer diagram that does show it.
Thanks
Dave

I just searched on Moss and SNG for a new rubber boot for the back of the switch. I can’t find one. Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

Some suggestions in this thread: Has anyone found a source for this part?

Thanks David. Since mine is relatively intact, I was thinking about molding a new part. I’ve never tried that before so it might be a fun winter project. However, when I was googling around, I found that 3D printing rubber is a possibility. I’ve got no experience with that either. I wouldn’t mind having a 3D printer for other stuff. I just don’t want to be the guy bringing business card holders and miniature Statue of Liberties to everyone at the office.

http://atomstack3d.com/cambrianpro

1 Like

Is this skinny remnant hanging from the ignition switch the wire for the buzzer? It’s the only thing I’ve found.

Yes and 20 more…

Bill,
Was there another cover on the front of the switch? It seems odd to have a loose wiring dangling from the switch.

My parts books don’t have anything - at least that I’ve found.
Dave

My car was also built in 1970 and did not have a cover over the switch. I have no idea if it had one originally. I bought one (#13) of the replacement covers from Moss and modified it to fit. It’ll fool most of the people most of the time.

Thanks Bill. That will finish it off nicely.
Dave

Item 13 was used when the Waso lock was fitted to the SII. The lock had a built in switch for the buzzer. Mostly the Britax lock was fitted and it had the plastic cover with the switch and a wire hanging out. There were several covers for different cars with different markings or key openings but the one for the SII was C.34109 (Lucas 39566). This is a pic of one for some other car but very similar. It had a purple wire from it for the buzzer.

Note tjat item 12 is rubber and used on the Waso lock on the SIII.

Richard Liggitt

1 Like

When I was looking at the wiring behind the ignition switch, I noticed another unused wire. It appears to be cut. It’s wrapped up in the bundle.

I also noticed three unused male prongs on the back of the switch. You can see the three bare prongs in this photo. The switch works fine so maybe this is normal?

I made some progress on creating a 3d model of the boot for the back of the ignition switch. Here’s a photo of what was left of the boot and the first two rough 3d models. I left the latest one with the car. It looks like it will fit with a bit more tweaking. Black rubber filament will be used for the final edition.

3d modelling and printing is something I’ve never done before. It’s a lot harder than it looks, at least for me. It’s fun to learn something new, especially something that can be put to use.

Why did you choose a square transition instead of more like a funnel? I believe the original is funnel shaped where it necks down.
Mine was also crumbling but I managed to coat it with black urethane rubber and if you don’t look too closely it’ll fool most of the people most of the time.

Hi Bill,
I didn’t realize it was funnel. Thanks!!! I’ll redo it
Dave

If you do a search online with the part number you can look at a photo of it. It may not be available, but at least you can see what it looks like. Good luck

Dave ;
I may be late for the party but I have found these photos. I offer them with out much comment. The wire on the first set of photos Goes to the little brass tag I think.
2-2014-02-16 15.07.41

3-2014-02-16 15.08.11

4-2014-02-16 15.08.30

5-2014-02-16 15.25.11

6-2014-02-20 14.20.46

Regards, Joel…

Thanks Joel. I’ve never seen the part that goes on the front of the switch. Now, the remnants of that wiring hanging down off the front of the switch make sense.
Dave