Asbestos - How many different places in an S2 XKE may have it?

Hi Folks, I am looking to make a list of the places/parts in a '69 that may contain asbestos.

I am aware that there are a variety of suggestions and opinions on the risks. I am not asking, today, how to safely live with the stuff, because I may need to get rid of it (professionally and certified asbestos-free) regardless of any of our opinions.

• The brake fluid heat shield is clearly in the list?
  • Modern disk pads, surely not?
  • I have no idea how old the clutch is.
  • Where else?

Thanks

Hi Liam,
I think there is an underside heat shield that may have it, then on my '68 there is a molded piece on the frame near the down pipes but I don’t know if the later car had it. I can’t imagine that the brake pads being new will have it.
Good luck, sounds like your planning a move?
Cheers,
LLynn

The heat shield above the mufflers, The transmission heat shield that’s above the exhaust pipes. and the heat shield between the exhaust pipes and the brake booster, it’s below the brake bottles. A lot of times it’s missing.

Do 't overthink this: all you need to do, to safely remove old asbestos, is soak it down with water, wrap up tightly in a plastic bag, and dispose of it in a landfill.

The most dangerous source is the brake pads, some of which continue to be made with asbestos to this day. Contrary to what everyone thinks, it is NOT banned for use in brake linings, clutch linings, or engine gaskets. The problem isn’t the pads themselves, it’s the dust that accumulates all around them. By contrast, the brake bottle shields and muffler shields are unlikely to become aerosols if they are left unmolested. So if you’re buying brakes pads, read the box carefully. Unless it says it’s asbestos-free, it probably isn’t.

Cant agree on a factual science basis, albeit the emotional/political hype has overwhelmed…
Many years ago when forced to introduce asbestos-free brake linings into a large fleet of vehicles, it was driven by the political hype - the science showed that although there was clear health problems with the mining/manufacture of asbestos based linings once they were made the health risk was no worse than any other brake dust - the asbestos fibre broke down sufficiently that it was no worse than any other brake dust, and indeed not as bad as other material dusts… So best advice was to wash down complete brake assembly to clean off all the dust, and dispose of based on local environmental advice. So personally, I have zero concerns about using/buying NOS asbestos based brake pads/linings, albeit I cant imagine you could buy new ones now anywhere in the world, with asbestos pretty well banned everywhere from mining/manufacturing new product . There is a much bigger health risk with asbestos sheet used in other places, where it is not subject to heat/wear to fully degrade it, so things like exhaust shields should be handled with care if any sign of breaking/fraying of the sheet…, and its a real problem still in the home/building industry where asbestos sheet use was prolific, for roofs, walls, eves, bathrooms etc - far bigger issue than in classic cars…

This is, like many J-L topics, well ploughed ground. Ditto cadmium plating of various parts. The asbestos in E-type heat shields is not friable, therefore represents a very low health risk. Regardless, I replaced all four heat shields when I restored my E, not because I was worried about the health risk but because they were ratty and oil-soaked.

When I was a maintenance manager in a large (and old) factory I was tasked with the removal of asbestos insulation on all the old hot water and steam lines, some of which were a foot or more in diameter. Miles of the stuff, and all of it friable. Unlike the hard asbestos used in E-type heat shields, dangerous to one’s health if one is susceptible. I brought in a company that specialized in asbestos removal and toured him through the older part of the operation. There was much hand wringing and tut-tutting and exclamations about how huge a job it was going to be. The man was dressed in battered steel-toed work boots and dusty blue coveralls. He was also wearing a heavy gold Rolex.

1 Like

Hi Liam.
As pointed out in another post sounds like a move on the way…If it is back to Australia there is a lot of mis and disinformation about importing vehicles.I have imported quite a few cars/bikes.
Something important to note is that Au. inspectors can,and may,still pull your vehicle for inspection even if it is certified asbestos free.The lengths they go to in inspections are ridiculous,this happened to a friend;28 swabs on a MC,asbestos found in base gasket (crankcase/barrels).The fix,and this is the short version:multiple people booked for removal,mechanic attended,dismantle engine,remove gasket,cost 6k AUD.!!!
So,replace and or test everything,don’t assume it will be ok and make absolutely sure tester Stateside actually tests.Also put a line through your asbestos declaration which states “contains no asbestos” and state “to the best of my knowledge”.PM me if you need any further info.
Cheers Craig.