Asbestos - How many different places in an S2 XKE may have it?

This is, like many J-L topics, well ploughed ground. Ditto cadmium plating of various parts. The asbestos in E-type heat shields is not friable, therefore represents a very low health risk. Regardless, I replaced all four heat shields when I restored my E, not because I was worried about the health risk but because they were ratty and oil-soaked.

When I was a maintenance manager in a large (and old) factory I was tasked with the removal of asbestos insulation on all the old hot water and steam lines, some of which were a foot or more in diameter. Miles of the stuff, and all of it friable. Unlike the hard asbestos used in E-type heat shields, dangerous to one’s health if one is susceptible. I brought in a company that specialized in asbestos removal and toured him through the older part of the operation. There was much hand wringing and tut-tutting and exclamations about how huge a job it was going to be. The man was dressed in battered steel-toed work boots and dusty blue coveralls. He was also wearing a heavy gold Rolex.

1 Like