Auto gearbox removal

Hi,
My e type is a v12 serie 3 2+2 ( Without air conditionned)
Is it possible to remove the automatic gearbox without removal the engine.
My gear box is leaking;
Regards Alain

Unfortunately not.
It’s an engine out job.

Subject covered in an earlier thread. Recently…check it out. BTW, Alain, it can be removed without pulling engine.

Evidence?
Cheers,
LLynn[quote=“wallstman1, post:3, topic:353713”]
Alain, it can be removed without pulling engine.
[/quote]

Is it Memorial Day… or Groundhog Day?

Evidence…yes…put your car up on a lift, and give your drive train a good look-over. You will figure it out. Necessity is the mother of invention. I have owned this Jag for over 43 years…did not want to pull engine every time I might need to address something in the drive train. Actually very simple. Help if you have a reputable drive shaft shop nearby. Attn: Geo Hahn…its Memorial Day…to me, a sacred day. Treat it as such, and if you have nothing positive to bring to the table, other then nonsensical remarks, please wait until you do.

Easy out the bottom if you have a lift. No need to even drain the coolant or disconnect the battery. Two hours out if you take your time. Make sure you have a transmission jack as the BW12 is really heavy. As far as leaking, unless it is a front or rear seal, it can usually be sealed up in the car.

Yup… got to use a lift Dick…tranny jack, of course. So easy, and you don’t disturb the engine, and all that goes with that.
Happy Memorial Day !

I just wrote it all out in step by step directions on my site. www.georgiajag.com click on XKE articles and at the bottom is V12 Transmission removal. I will add some pictures next time I do one. Let me know if anything needs more explanation or spelling correction.

Thanks Dick,
I learned something from you once again.
Not that you care John, but my apologies to you as well.
Cheers,
Lynn

Have a great day ! Happy motoring.

Hi,
Thanks everybody for your help.
I do have a lift on which you can drive the car . May be I shall have a problem because the lift have a central pilar ( hydraulic pilar). I will manage. Any way the fact of leaving the engine in place will avoid the removal of the bonnet . I was afraid to do it alone.I will keep you inform.
Regards Alain

Good luck ! Will need a second set of hands, and locate a reputable drive-shaft shop first. Have fun !

Hi,
Ok for the second set of hands. May be you are to far?
But what do you mean by a reputable drive shaft shop, to fix the gearbox,
Regards Alain

I am familiar with the central hydraulic lift. Not sure how you can accomplish this job with that style of lift. You will need to jack up the front of the engine and use a transmission jack under the center of the car. Your lift precludes this procedure in this manner.

Hi. My suggestion is, to make all future drive-train work easier, is to take driveshaft and have it modified (shorten 4 inches, replace with appropriate telescopic section ) and re-balance. It will go in a lot easier when tranny is done, and all future work won’t be such a headache.

Since you need access right down the middle of the car the lift you describe may not be ideal. In that case there are alternate ways to raise the car.

Inspired by this photo…

… I built some cribbing to support one end of the E-Type;

This was for engine removal but might also work for your task. The front is on jackstands, that stack of blocks under the front hubs is just supporting the disconnected front suspension.

Here’s another photo (from Forum member DL) that also inspired me to find a way to safely support the vehicle at modest height:

Be very careful with any such approach to assure the set-up is solid and stable.

You might mention where in the world you are located. I have been the ‘second set of hands’ on others’ E-Types - always a worthwhile experience - though I suspect you are ‘not from these parts’ as the movie cowboys would say.

Very similar Geo, but I used ramps for the rear. Engine came out the bottom , landed on a sheet of UHMW sprayed with WD40 and a chain to drag it around. Then lifted the front and pulled the entire lump out.

Wanted to mention that I had an extra set of ramps that I chained together (should see them in this photo) . I was concerned that while lifting the front end the rear may want to roll a bit . I kept the handbrake engaged.

Mark

Great photos Geo. Just a suggestion for supporting the front
suspension…I made up a set of links (like the TB setting links) to
hold the suspension at the height it typically with the shocks in place and
at full stretch. Holds everything in place without having to use stuff
under the hubs. You can see it in this snippet…