Barn finds, know of any?

Jensen FF, restored to a very high level,tucked away in a cocoon and seemingly forgotten. It’s wedged in by a Corniche among other things.

Ok,this post has me digging through some of my hunts. I was in a taxi speeding down a side street of a rural town in regional Japan to catch a train when I spotted a CEV tail light shape under a blanket in the window of a tea shop of all things, for those of you not familiar with CEV they are an Italian maker of lenses etc mainly for Italian bikes,so 3 years later I get back to that town and head for the Tea shop,sure enough through the window I spy an MV 350 under said blanket,after some door knocking we track down the owner, a wonderful kindly and very elderly Japanese lady, she kindly lets my wife and I in and offers us some tea.
Then the fun begins, I politely enquire about,the MV, and the 2 objects in the images, which were sitting on the floor in an area that doubled as a sort of living area come shop.
Gold stamp to anybody who can identify what these parts are, specifically.

A 912/Typ 2 block, and the landing gear of some WWII plane.

I do not know guns well enough to ID the firearm, under the cosmoline…Enfield?

Not Enfield, yes on the WW2 for both,we need a make and model.

Spitfire, for the wheel!

@craigsmith and @Wiggles, the knowledge you share is amazing…

Sometimes… it’s even right!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My guess is that the gun is a Type 99 20mm cannon as used on Japan’s WWII A6M “Zero” fighter.

https://collectorsmilitaria.com/a_very_rare_wwii_imperial_japanese_zero_type_99_mk_1_20mm_auto_cannon_011715.htm

Dave

Looking at your source, and rechecking the posters photo, you could be right.

Maybe the wheel is from a Mitsubishi Zero?

EDIT: the tire has Japanese characters on it!

Well done,Zero on both.
What are the chances of finding parts like t hat sitting in an old ladies house/shop?

Well don’t leave us hanging Craig! Are they still in the old lady’s tea shop or did you strike a deal and they’re now in your living room?

That town has become one of my favorite places in Japan,unfortunately haven’t been able to visit but I’m pretty sure they will still be there.
Here’s a Subaru 360 Young SS in the same town.It’s sitting quietly and unused,fortunately under cover,sort of.

2 Likes

Here’s a live lead:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/d/hollis-1958-jaguar-mk-viii-sedan/7328552910.html

I made my own barn find, lol!

I put my car on blocks in my parents’ Connecticut garage in 1974 after driving it into rolling rubble due to deferred maintenance since 1971. Then, I had it shipped cross country to Bellevue, WA in 1976 where I had settled after college, at which time I dismantled it into a basket case.

Pictured at upper left, the car is in the carport of my rented house in 1976, where I removed the engine. The rest of the dismantling (other pics) occurred in 1979 - 1983 after I bought my first house out in the country and put the “car-cas” in–seriously–an old barn.

Here she is more recently:

10 Likes

You certainly have a long and colorful history with that car, Tom!

1 Like

Ok here’s my find genuine 50k car late October 61 RHD found after chatting to a muscle car man and following his tip…… everything is there the body repairs done……. Been off the road since 1982 …… Po got the stitch…… not allowed to start yet ( she who must be obeyed) until I finish the current car.

It was just 2.5 miles from my place

3 Likes

Man… I hope that Marston radiator is a good one!

Me too it will be really good if it’s ok…… we’ll see…… otherwise will need to have it recored by someone who really knows how to do these…… my aim is to use all original refurbished parts other than the seals bearings hoses fuel lines and brake lines and new hubs and wheels ( cheaper than refurb of originals) which on this car were painted…… lot of known history with next to last owner providing me back to 1974 …… purchased in Singapore where it was sold via cycle and carriage…. I love history of these cars and will hopefully be able to build it to factory specs…… unfortunately it will be bought by a collector and will be a trailer queen which for me would be a pity

These radiators can’t be recored. Unlike copper radiators or even modern aluminum., the tanks and tubes are integral and can’t be separated. If you need to replace, let me know.

1 Like

It cant be fixed: Mike Frank makes a suitable replacement…

1 Like