Brake and Anti-lock lights have come on

Good morning.

No apology necessary. You are are taking your time and it is appreciated.

So far this morning I have chequed the two 30 amp fuses, and changed them to be safe. The “yellow” relay you speak of is wedged into a spot which I will need to gingerly approach to remove and test. That is as far as I have come this morning and I will keep you posted. This seems to be the most obvious.

Richard,

Here is the rest of the information I mentioned. To refresh, the most likely culprits for the ABS pump not operating are the Combination Pressure Switch, the ABS Pump Relay (yellow), and the ABS pump motor itself. Read the information, Do the tests, and let us know what you find.

AE

XJS T3 ABS System & Tests.pdf (1.53 MB)

XJS T3 ABS Warning Lamp Blink Display.pdf (420 KB)

Thank you, I had massive work done including the “black ball” changed 1.5 years ago. I don’t think we have accumulated 3.5K since then as we retired 20 years ago to rescue homeless and abused animals, and our responsibility is with them thus limiting travel.

Richard,

Good for you, Once you get the pump running and developing pressure to put the ABS Amber light and the Brake System Red Light out, then you can sort the Accumulator to see if it is up to snuff. To find more information on that, go to the upper right area of you monitor screen and click on the magnifying (search) glass. Type in - for example - 'ABS Accumulator" - then hit you Enter / Return key on your keyboard and you should get around 50 - 60 or so responses to browse through.

Good afternoon.
Tomorrow I am having my mechanic raise the car and take a look at the sensors to rule out disconnection, grit, etc. Exactly where are they located?
Thank you in advance.

Richard,
Where did you ever read, or hear, that the wheel speed sensors had, have, or will have anything to do with the brake pump running to develop brake fluid pressure???

Did the flashing codes ABS diagnostics that XJSbanger sent reveal this?

Well…I have tried to locate why the ABS and brake light stay on. I have chequed the fuses, relays, control box in the trunk, the fluid in the master cylinder, etc. and I read if the sensors are dirty or sense an issue, I guess that’s why they call them sensors, they will trigger the lights to stay on. Not having a lift and being afraid to raise the vehicle in my driveway and perhaps get squashed, will have the mechanic have a peak. I am guessing, and I think you mentioned this is electrical and not mechanical, it might be worth it.

But wait…this vehicle is 1989…I don’t know of anything that flashes except the blinkers.

I guess that’s why they call them sensors, they will trigger the lights to stay on

Where did you get that information?

Can you confirm that the brake pump runs and develops pressure - yes, or no?

I will find out tomorrow…a mechanic I am not.

Okay, the verdict is in. The DAC 4506 relay is working. We went under the vehicle and while a tad corroded, all sensors are tight in position.
I do notice one thing which I am not sure of…the “black ball” is very warm. Never touched it before thus I don’t know if that is an issue.

You had asked if the pump runs - yes, or no? The answer is I don’t know. When I turn the key to the on position, I hear a humming located in the front right which is where the pump is located.

Well I am at my wits end. This morning I needed to stop quickly and the thought of the ABS system not kicking in ran through my mind. Boy was I surprised. The hit the pedal and talking about stopping on a dime…I laid rubber. Looking at it the other way, could my ABS system be working and the light are on for no reason? As mentioned, the fuses and relays and new module are good, the sensors are sensoring, the fluid is topped up, and the brakes feel good.
Please advise.

If you laid rubber when hitting the brakes that hard, then your ABS system is NOT working.

ABS= Antilock Brake System. Your brakes locked up if you skidded.

See, I thought it would be the other way around. I didn’t need any more assistance than I had. By the way, I took off the dashboard panel to expose the miniature lights. I did notice when the ABS bulb is wiggled it will shut off thus the red long recess adjacent, (next to) is no long red as that area derives its colour from da ABS bulb. I wonder if this could be an issue?

Brake Assistance is from your Accumulator, the big black thing you had replaced.
ABS is to give you better stopping ability by not letting wheels lock up. Especially helpful on wet surfaces. Please read about it.

This is by design…

Oh I did. It seems everything is working, but I have question on the only item I know nothing about or how to test which would be the brake pump which is below the accumulator. I hear a humming in the morning when I start the car for the firs time and it sounds from the cabin lie it’s coming from the are the accumulator is located.

I’m going to be frank, this car is not for you. You are at the tip of the iceberg for dealing with all the maintenance and problems that you will have with a 32 year old Jaguar XJ-S V12, especially one with Teves3 and Marelli ignition. This Forum cannot give you the simple fixes that you hope for, it can only give you the knowledge to fix the issues yourself. You’ve stated that you are not a mechanic. Fair enough, so you’ll need to find a Jaguar expert which will cost $$$. If you can’t do that, I suggest you trade this in for a Honda.