Brass plate for early XK120 glass brake fluid reservoir bracket

Rob,

Thanks, I will include four rivets with each plate.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi all can anyone tell me were can get the Adapter outlet for the master cylinder supply tank.
best regards Kevin part# 1607

Mark V, VII, and VIII used it so try Jaguar Heaven in Calif or Welsh Enterprises in Ohio or other used parts sources.
Interesting that your top and lid are different from mine, so yet another variety heard from.

1 Like

Thanks Rob I got it used from Absolute Xk ,bill Dengler is a great source for used parts . Was just missing the adapter.

I have 3 three of them and none of them have that top.

Hi Mike, you got me thinking maybe the one I have is not off a 120 ?

Maybe it corroborates what we said in the early days of this forum, that no two XK120s are alike.

Rob,

I received the aluminum rivets. Thank you!

To all who have ordered the Lockheed plate from me: I will include four rivets with each plate, compliments of Rob Reilly.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Rob and Charlie :+1:

So if we can dive a little deeper down this rabbit hole, what would the original finish have been on these lids and brackets? 4 lids shown in the attached photo. I thought that all four were rusted from exposure to brake fluid, then repainted, but now, I’m not sure that is the case. The top two have obviously been painted or powder coated, but I’m thinking that the bottom two might be unaltered. Looks like a sort of splatter paint?

Well, this rabbit hole looks awfully dark and gloomy, but I have an example of period wrinkled paint on a Smith’s heater,
XK120 heater 002
so my guess is your tops do not look to me like sputtered or wrinkled paint, but rather like they were badly rust pitted and painted over with a thin spray coat. Try some paint stripper. When new without any finish they were as smooth as the upper right hand one.

We have evidence that these reservoirs had either Lockheed or Girling tags or none at all, so we can presume they were made, not by Lockheed nor Girling, but by some small metal stamping shop, who finished them either in their own choice or the customer’s choice, which is at this point unknown.

We have to keep telling ourselves that we are not Corvette people, and Jaguar was not a Corvette shop, i.e. with every little thing documented.

BTW I got an automatic notice that I am dominating this thread with 24% of the conversation, so I apologize and want to invite others to participate. :blush:

Rob,

No need to apologize. We appreciate your input. Tell the automatic notice to shove it!!!

Regards,

Charlie

Rob,

You’re partly correct that there must have been another company.
Automotive Products Co Ltd had been established in 1920 but very quickly developed close relations with both Lockheed and Girling. You wil also see some other well-known brands in the quote below:

“In 1949 Automotive Products Associated Limited was incorporated to acquire the whole of the share capital of Automotive Products Co ltd, Borg and Beck Co Ltd, Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Co Ltd and subsequently converted into a public company. Also manufactured Thompson steering track rods, Purolator filters, and various aircraft components”.

Bob K.

I am hesitant to apply paint stripper now, only to find out later that I removed the original finish. I had the shiny one sandblasted and powder coated. I don’t remember what it looked like before that.

I’m happy for you to keep dominating, Rob!!! :grin:

Ok, I realized I was not quite clear; I meant when the top was fresh out of the punch press before any finish, it was smooth. Stripping a sputtered or wrinkle job would reveal a smooth steel part. If it revealed a pitted part you would have your answer.
Later tops have been reported to be cadmium plated. Perhaps they began plating them after they got back some reports of paint damage from people spilling brake fluid on the painted tops.

Bob, rivets… you missed your chance to screw around with people who look too close for their own good:

General_Chang

1 Like

Here are some pics of the bracket attached to the brake reservoir I acquired. I suspect it’s RR or Bentley. I’d be interested to see what the correct XK120 clamping bracket looks like from the side where it attaches to the inner wing. Does it attach directly or via a mounting plate of some sort? What is the approximate measurement between the two mounting hole centres? The one I have measures approx. 2 1/2"

Chris, your bracket is not from a Mark V nor XK120. It may or may not be part C.6799 for Mark VII. Unfortunately the draftsman failed to draw it in the Mark VII parts book, though he drew the screws, washers and nuts.
XK120 does not use any extra bracket at all; the hoop bracket is attached directly to the upper valence, and there are holes for it on both sides for LHD or RHD.

hi Charlie,

I tried many weeks ago to order this plate from Charlie.

I see the message that he’s very busy, we all are …patience no problem

is it possible to just get a confirmation that my request made it and I am in the Queue ?

thanks,

George