Brass plate for early XK120 glass brake fluid reservoir bracket

George,

I’m ready to ship the plates, which will include aluminum rivets. Would you please send me your address. The plates are $30 each and shipping is $3 in you are in the United States.

Regards,

Charlie

Is my March, 1950 OTS car really the odd one out here? Everyone here seems to have their tags mounted on the circular clamp holding the reservoir. Mine is mounted on the lid – with steel rivets. And the clamp doesn’t have any small holes indicative of a tag ever having been mounted there. I’d like to see another as I’m guessing the purists will jump on this as not being “correct” should I decide to sell the car however many years from now. Actually, I should probably post pictures of the other anomalies that seem to differ with later cars as well that don’t seem to be covered in the few books I have. Just curious.

Christopher.

My car was built November, 1950 and had the tag on the clamp. Your tag looks like it has a curve to it which would indicate it might have originally been on the clamp. Replacement clamps do not have holes for the plate.

Regards,

Charlie

Any left from the batch?

Christopher,

Other differences on my early 120 OTS are:

1. No vent in the front fenders

2. Chrome plated seat frames

3. Chrome plated hood frame

4. Seats have ten pleats, later 120’s had nine

5. Leather and vinyl covered dash

What other differences have you found?

Regards,

Charlie

Anomalies? Unheard of. :astonished:

This is the proof we’ve been looking for, that the new apprentice working in the Lockheed shop was given the job of putting tags on reservoirs, and since the tags were flat he figured they should go on the flat top rather than the curved strap. But he was fired after one week.
Would I make up a story like that? :wink:

Maybe it corroborates what we said in the early days of this forum, that no two XK120s are alike.
We have to keep telling ourselves that we are not Corvette people, and Jaguar was not a Corvette shop, i.e. with every little thing documented.

If the plate looks curved on mine it’s only because of the lighting. Regardless, I’ve no interest in messing with it even if the vast majority are found mounted on the clamp.

Other random differing things I’ve noticed on this early XK (670236):

*The stud-less cylinder head has no number to match that of the engine.

*Windshield wiper motor – type CR with date of 3 50 – doesn’t have a mounting plate secured to the body with two screws. And the body is painted in black craquelure paint like electrical/ electronics items were painted circa '20s - '60s.

*Radiator thermostat housing bypass port is more stub-like and is threaded to take a steel coupling.

*Door shut panels are secured to the B-posts with countersunk screws instead of having studs spot welded on the back side.

*Carburetor tops are noticeably taller than my other '120.

*Fuel tank sending unit recess was a separate piece that was soldered in and rest of the tank had sharper angles.

*Boot compartment has remains of a sort of rubberized black tape apparently used to conceal wiring and hide gaps.

*No front engine mount horseshoe reinforcement gussets/ stays – nor mounting boss provisions on block – like later cars.

These are the only items I can think of at the moment.

Charlie, my other car was also built around the same time as yours: October/ November of '50. Number is 670898. I wonder how far off it is from yours?

Actually it just occurred to me that those two rivets will interfere with the sealing of the paper gasket on the glass bowl. Perhaps that’s why the Lockheed folks didn’t proceed with putting them all there.

Christopher,

My numbers are as follows:

Chassis 670776

Body F2002

Engine W2130-8

Gearbox JH4331

All of these numbers match the VIN plate.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie,
Check your personal messages, I sent my info to you.
Cliff Carlino

Hannu,

Yes, please tell me how many and your mailing address.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi,
I would like to order one with fitting rivets please.

My address is
Hannu Savolainen
Piikiventie 1 A
04250 Kerava
Finland

Please let me know of the total cost including the postage.

I’m happy to pay by paypal, credit card, cash. Your choice.

Best regards Hannu
XK120 OTS, ex. california car

XK140 FHC MC, ex. california car
XKE s2 roadster, ex. california car
XKE s3 FHC, ex. california car
and number of more modern

ke 11. marrask. 2020 klo 2.51 Charlie Schott via Jag-lovers Forums (noreply@jag-lovers.com) kirjoitti:

Hannu,

The cost is $30 for the plate and rivets and $15 for international shipping. You can PayPal the $45 to schottc@knology.net . Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi,
Just paid, thank you very much.
Would it be possible to get few photos of the xk120 ots accelerator linkage to my mechanic, to be able to install the brackets exactly to correct bulkhead locations having onky Viart book drawings available. My car will have H8 carburettors fitted.
Best regards Hannu

Hannu,

Your plate and rivets will be in the mail Friday.

Sorry, but I do not have my linkage installed. Perhaps someone else in the forum can supply you with pictures.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi, great, thank you for your kind help. Best rgds Hannu

Charlie, I need one of these plates for my xk120 if you have any left and would be happy to pay by Paypal. — Mike

Mike,

I would be happy to send you one, just send me your address.

The plate is $30 and based on some previous shipments, it would be $4 for shipping if you’re in the USA. My email is schottc@knolog.net for PayPal. Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie, I sent the $34 with Paypal on December 6. Have you received it? — Mike

Mike,

I just checked my PayPal account and it doesn’t show that your payment has been received. Also, you have not yet sent me your mailing address.

Regards,

Charlie